Chapter 15

I couldn't quite get a read on Melodic Mood. She seemed nice enough but I couldn't tell if it an act or not.

I was surprised that instead of a mask she has various music notes decorating her face, and I couldnt get close enough to tell if her hair was really blue or if it is a wig.

I might have asked if I didnt see a digital clock and realize it was after 2. I was supposed to meet Owen over 3 hours ago.

"Is that the actual time?"

She looked at a her wrist then back at the clock.

"Its a minute behind actually." She looked confused.

"Great..." I sighed. "I was supposed to meet a friend at 11."

"That would explain why your phone kept going off up until about an hour ago." She shrugged before pointing at a pile of clothing on a table in the corner. "I'll go let the doctors know you're awake now."

She quietly left the room before I  carefully rushed over to my phone.

12 missed calls, 5 voicemails, and 48 unread text messages.

I began to scroll through the call list first. 10 calls were from Owen, but the last two missed calls were from my mom and dad.

I felt my heart begin to race as I remembered I snuck out last night and was caught fighting Frostbite on HRN.

My hands began to shake as I  went to the voicemails. I barely was able to hit play with his bad i was shaking.

"El its Owen I know last night was pretty hectic. I wanted to make sure you remembered to meet me at Mama's." End of message 1.

"Hey El still me. Ummm... I hope you're not still asleep. I'm still waiting for you I got your favorite for you. Those pancakes with the powder sugar that kinda looks like snow. If you dont hurry I'm gonna eat it." End of message 2.

"Ok I know you're not standing me up. That's not like you. It's one thing to ditch us at the party, but come on. At least let me know you made it home. If I dont hear back from you soon I'm heading to your house." End of message 3.

"El are you ok? I went by your house and your mom said your dad went to find you. Did you make it home? Ethan said Claire got hurt on the way home last night, but she doesnt know what happened to you after she got home. I cant get a hold of your dad, but your mom said the last time she saw you was last night when you were going to bed. I didnt tell her about you sneaking out but I think she knows. Please be ok. Please call me as soon as you can." End of message 4.

"You have no idea how disappointed I am." My fathers voice boomed. "I thought I talked to you about this hero shit. Then not only do I find out you snuck out but I turn on the news to find you fighting on tv. Do you think this is some game? People could have died last night. What if you missed that shot at Lightspeed and hit her instead of the ice huh? What if you hit the gas tank on one of those cars? People live on that street. You almost killed multiple people last night. I told you those powers are dangerous and you go behind my back and choose to keep them. I know that shirt is for the academy." He was yelling so loud and fast I could barely keep up. "And to think I raised you better than that. I raised you to be an obedient daughter not some crazed..." I turned it off before the voicemail could finish.

I dropped the phone and sank to my knees. Tears were burning my eyes but the shock of it kept me from releasing them.

"Are you ok?"

I didn't even hear the door open but I turned around to see Melodic Mood standing in the doorway.

"Yeah. I went to check my phone and pain shot through my skull, like a bull in a china shop." I tried to let out a soft hearted laugh as I slowly stood up. "I wasn't being careful. Sorry."

She gave me a look that made me feel like she didn't believe me but she didn't say anything.

Instead Melodic Mood just nodded her head before holding the door open for the director and leaving.

"Is everything ok Miss Director?" I asked as I made my way back to the bed in the room.

"Not exactly. So you're being restricted to staying here until we find out how Frostbite was able to track you." She sighed. "We have some leads but I cant discuss them with you just yet."

"If she was tracking me does that mean my parents are in trouble?" I quickly stood up which seemed to surprise The Director.

"We don't believe they are in any direct danger. That villain didnt seem to even care about Recruit Lightspeed after you showed yourself, so we have a feeling she only was targeting you. She just used Lightspeed as bait to lure you out."

I felt my heart sink for the third time today. I didn't think anyone actually used the method of hurting people as bait to lure the hero in, but the more I thought about it. It really is a way to get a hero to show up because a hero has to do their job...