Chapter 2 - Fair

Cyrus woke up blinking back the sleep. Today was Saturday he thought a smile forming on his face. He sat up stretching silently, his limbs quivering as he stretched out adroitly like a cat. He looked over to see Holly curled in a ball. Coincidentally so was her hair. He got up and after a few minutes of getting ready, he then hopped in the shower. After his shower, he did his hair and cologne and prepared for the day. Once he was satisfied with his appearance he was off for the kitchen.

Cyrus made some Texas micro-batch roasted organic coffee for everyone. He ground the coffee and started to brew it. The fresh aroma was transcendent. He poured himself a cup and went to go lounge on the deck in the early morning light.

He sat down on a chair and watched the sun dance across the tall grass of the fields as the morning sun lit the tips like golden fire as they swayed in the soft breeze. He sipped his coffee relishing in the peaceful atmosphere. Today was traditionally the day the family went to the county fair. Every year they went and had a blast. Saturdays really are magical he thought with a smile before taking another sip of the bold rich coffee.

There was a marksmanship competition every year as well and Holly was shaping up to be a real sharpshooter. You never would have guessed based on her personality. Father had trained her well and she had a real aptitude for it. Unlike Cyrus. His shot was not bad at all, but he looked mediocre next to her. She had earned this one and he was proud of her.

Cyrus heard everyone getting up a while later and joined them in the kitchen. He saw Holly next to the coffee machine taking a tentative first sip of her coffee. She scrunched her face pursing her lips in a pucker of distaste before promptly adding three more spoonfuls of sugar. Holly had a serious sweet tooth.

"Good morning Holly," Cyrus said with a smile. "Good morning, Cyrus," she said groggily looking half awake. "Today is the fair day," he said softly. Her eyes shot fully open and she squealed! "That's today?! Finally!" Cyrus smiled at her newfound enthusiasm.

After a quick breakfast, they headed out. The family took the SUV. Uncle Tony rode in his own vehicle as he had to leave around noon. "Did you guys bring sunblock," mom asked? "I did," Cyrus said starting to put it on. He shared with Holly. "Holly," he said. "Yes?" she responded. "Are you up for the rifle competition this year?" She turned to face him. "I have never lost to someone under eighteen," she said smugly with a smile holding her chin high with pride. "Hail to the champ Holly," he said grinning. She smirked. "Last year was a challenge. Remember?" she said. "I remember," Cyrus said stoically with a snort of his nostrils. "Kimberly Walker was close, but you shut down the competition," Cyrus finished with a smile.

"She will be back for blood this year," said Holly raising one eyebrow. Cyrus nodded in assent. "But I have been practicing a lot and have a few new moves up my sleeve," Holly added confidently. "That's my girl!" dad said from the front seat with a note of pride in his voice.

The SUV pulled up to an open spot. Parking spots are always bigger in Texas so it did not matter where they parked. The family walked across the old blacktop towards the fair. The grass was growing straw-like out of the blacktop near the edge of the pavement waving in the breeze. Cyrus could already smell the funnel cake's sweet cinnamon deep-fried dough scent wafting in from somewhere. As dad paid for the tickets Cyrus and Holly thanked the man at the booth and entered. Cyrus also thanked dad for paying for them, thinking it would not be long before he would be paying for everything himself.

Dad said, "Remember, eat all the food you can first, then go on the tilt-a-'Hurl' rides." Everyone laughed except mom who nudged him under the ribs with her elbow, to which everyone laughed even more. "Remember the shooting contest is at noon. We will see you guys there," dad said this time seriously. Holly and Cyrus nodded in confirmation.