Chapter 18 - The cave

It must have been only an hour later, but it felt like she had slept for a fortnight. She had cried so hard she was exhausted and had fallen into a deep dreamless slumber. Holly woke up blinking back the bright light coming in the aluminosilicate glass windows of the Aether. She could hear quiet talking nearby. Cyrus was whispering, "I know it's one of my biggest fears, but I just can't stand feeling so utterly helpless to do anything." Kimberley now spoke. "I know you two are close in a way that I never was with my brother, but she is stronger than she seems. She has a strength from within." Cyrus chuckled. "That's what I always tell her!" Holly sat up to see them smiling at each other. "Well I ain't going nowhere anytime soon, so turn those frowns upside down," she said with a grin. They turned with surprised looks before smiling warmly at her.

"Besides, didn't we have some more exploring to do?" Holly asked. Cyrus grinned, "Only if you're up to it," He said. "Are you kidding!" she said, "Like I'm gonna let some dumb plant get me down." Then her smile vaporized, as she remembered the poisonous words she had spoken. They were not hers, yet they were. It was weird. She still felt responsible to rectify the damage. "Listen," Holly said her arms reaching back behind her as she interlaced her fingers nervously. "I said some cruel things back there I can't just walk away from without addressing." Cyrus waved his hand dismissively. "Come off it Holly. It wasn't you. That was plant Holly, you would never say something like that." Holly shook her head dismissively. "I know that but in my heart, I also know that seeds of bitterness can find a root, and I am taking care to uproot each one now." Cyrus was quiet. "Very well," he nodded looking surprised at her insight and slightly proud of her.

"Cyrus I know you love Kimberley with all your heart, and that you love me with all the love you have to give as well. I never feel deferred with Kimberley around. In fact, having her in my life has been like gaining a sister. She is so special and so fierce a warrior on my behalf, I know she always has my back." Holly finished looking next at Kimberley, who was now fighting back tears again.

Holly walked over and embraced her before leaning back to look at her face, still holding her arms with a grin. Smiling Holly said, "besides now I have someone to share cute guy stuff with!" Cyrus rolled his eyes dispassionately. "Just make sure they're not dumb, rude or a steaming pile of an excuse for a man and I might not have to bury them in the back forty," he said teasingly yet still with conviction. Holly grinned. "Don't worry just yet, all the guys my age I know are total tools." Kimberley put up her fist for a fist bump saying, "Amen to that sister." She didn't leave her hanging. Cyrus gave Holly one raised eyebrow of protest. "Besides you that is," she amended with a grin. He smiled again satisfied with her redaction.

Holly stood up straight, "Well come on are we gonna stand here all day, or are we gonna do some adventuring?!" Cyrus stood straight. "We are getting the gun first before we leave. Everyone agrees it's a smart move?" Cyrus asked looking at them. "Definitely," Kimberley and Holly said in unison. Cyrus led the way to the cargo hold. Holly grabbed the GRM-7 and put the shoulder belt on which ran diagonally from shoulder to waist. She inserted the full ammo magazines into the belt holsters. The one extra two hundred round magazine, and one of the twenty-five hundred round drum barrel magazines. The drum barrel mag had some weight to it! She put the remaining two hundred round mag into the base of the gun and chambered a round with the action. Holly then put the safety back on, double-checking it. The GRM-7 had a battery meter in the base of the stock where the battery pack module went. She now noticed the two extra battery packs and placed one on the belt holster which now had a good weight to it, especially with her slim figure. Cyrus grabbed the first aid, some water, and a ration for each of them. He also grabbed some strike flares, and the headset mic/cams, putting everything in a backpack. The trio then exited out the back of the ship just as they had last time exiting down the ramp extension.