Chapter 15 - Diamond

Tracy and Molly showed up promptly at six pm. Mom still remembered the two girls from grade school and smiled hugging them warmly. They both grinned very happily. "Thank you, Mrs. White." Cyrus's mom smiled at the two girls, "I know it's been forever since you were here last, but I've told you girls before it's Sarah. Mrs. White is my mother-in-law." They both grinned just like Kimberley had when Sarah had told her.

Mom put out quite the spread as per usual. Tender pot roast with baby red new potatoes, Vidalia onions, and garden carrots. Mom made au jus sauce with fresh basil, salt, pepper, and the pot roast pan drippings. There were Yukon gold and rutabaga mashed potatoes with buttermilk and roasted garlic blended in. Cyrus saw bacon and onion collard greens. There was homemade pecan pie as well.

Molly was eating the pecan pie her eyes half-closed as she took in the flavors. "Holly if I lived here with your mom every day I would be the size of a whale. I could never say no to any of this food, and I'm usually a picky eater." Everyone grinned at her while Mom said, "Why thank you, Molly. I'm just so happy to see you girls together again. I know how hard high school can be and sometimes friends fall away, it means so much to me to see you girls together again," She said a bit of emotion coming over her voice.

Kimberley spoke up. "We all drifted apart from Holly till Cyrus saved me the other day. It was my fault really. If I had done what was right that day with the test like Holly, we would all have stayed friends the whole time most likely." Holly took Kimberley's hand, her eyes radiating compassion and empathy. She said "What matters is we got a second chance, thanks to Cyrus getting clocked by Travis. Kimberley was rather attached to him after that." Cyrus rolled his eyes in amusement at her assessment while Holly grinned. All three girls, besides Holly who was looking on in amusement, were now eying Cyrus as he began feeling self-conscious. He had stopped eating his pie and opted to sip on his coffee instead. Then after having a moment to think he said, "Any guy that hits a woman is dirt in my book, and after hearing that he hit you as well Tracy that got under my skin." Cyrus looked each of them in the eye as he spoke as conviction made its way into his voice. "You girls don't have to put up with guys that treat you like that. There are guys out there that will treat you with respect and treat you like an equal. Don't settle for less because the guy looks good. Looks and sweet talk can be deceiving. Rather actions speak louder than words. If any of these guys mess with you just let me know. I'll make sure they get the hint."

Cyrus went back to eating his pie, the girls were now staring at him again making him nervous inwardly though outwardly he kept his composure. After dinner Kimberley came up to Cyrus in the living room, taking his hand. "That was very sweet what you said back there. Especially considering all of us have not been so nice to you in the past." Cyrus put his hands on her shoulders softly, her back to the kitchen. "We're making up for the lost time already." Looking down his mind began to form an image as a smile crept across his face. He looked back up to face Kimberley his eyes locking with hers. "Like the pine cone seeds that burst in the fire to be buried under the ashes, they grow back faster when the first rains come. We also have a second chance. The trees grow quickly in the wake of the ashes. So even the destruction that was meant to consume them became the construct for bringing life out of death." Kimberley's eyes began to tear up. Her eyes darted between his rapidly. Kimberley then threw her arms around his neck embracing Cyrus in a hug as he leaned over so she didn't have to stand so tall. He could feel her tears against his neck, and her short breaths as she embraced him tightly.

As she stepped away Cyrus took his hand to gently wipe away her tears as he spoke with conviction to her his eyes filled with purpose. "These days are all about second chances." She looked up at him, something new in her eyes as they shone all the brighter through her tears. Her eyes flashed like the dawn on the ocean as the sun breaks through the marine. A fire-forged orange cresting the horizon drowning out the gray-blue ocean around it. Before Cyrus knew what he was doing his hand was reaching down cupping her small narrow chin softly, his other hand was on her cheek and the back of her neck. Slowly he drew her in. She closed her eyes as he moved closer their lips touching. Cyrus felt like his body had caught fire as waves of elation washed over him closing out everything but her lips on his, and her small hands holding his wrists. As they parted he felt her shudder with pleasure as she breathed in with a shaky breath. Her eyes opened now looking from one eye to the other rapidly. Cyrus took her hands in his. "I love you Kimberley Walker...and I always will," he said looking into her eyes. Her eyes tearing up again, she said "I love you too Cyrus White, till the stars fade away in the heavens." Cyrus tucked a stray strand of her beautiful brown hair behind her left ear. Her eyes still darting from one eye to the other.