II: MEADOW - whip it back and forth

"You're stalking him again!"

I immediately locked my phone and put it away. Trying to act casual, I looked up from my seat behind the counter in the lobby and faced the girl in front of me.

She was wearing a beige bucket hat that covered her dark hair that was split into braids. Her dark brown eyes lit up in mischief as she stared at me, while her thin frame was covered with the loose white tee she decided to wear today.

"Caught ya," she said, grinning as she leaned on the counter.

"Hello, Sunnie. How are you this fine morning?"

"It's the afternoon."

"You're supposed to be in the recreational room," I reminded her.

Sunshine was one of the twenty teenagers staying here for the summer, who was kinda forced to participate in the activities the Youth Center offered.

In other centers, they didn't allow overnight accommodations because that was mostly reserved for rehabilitation facilities. This place provided a two-in-one concept, seeing as we operated in a huge mansion in the woods overlooking the valley.

Almost all of the activities were wholesome and fun, although open forums could be unpredictable. The participants were highly encouraged to join whatever they were interested in. Sunshine signed up for yoga, art, and music class.

But most of the time, people just hung out at the recreational room.

"Rec room is so boring," Sunshine whined.

"You can watch tv, play foosball, and—"

"Surround myself with other 'troubled' youths and bask in our misery together," she finished for me. "Yay."

"None of you are miserable."

She gave me a look.

I averted my eyes, and murmured, "Just misguided."

"Sure," she snorted, looking around before letting out a big sigh. "I swear, no one should look that gorgeous."

I didn't even have to look up to see who she was referring to. "You only think that 'cause he's from the city – and he's the brother of Maxine."

"Nuh-uh," she argued. "Even if he's not the brother of my all time favorite singer, I'd still do him. Girl, look at him."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes before looking at Anders Ferguson.

He was talking to one of the regular employees, Louie. He seemed very attentive and all smiles, like I didn't catch him looking bored out of his mind in the staff room the other day.

He had curly brown hair with golden highlights in them, and tanned skin as if he spent all his free time in the sun. He was tall and lean, with the kind of build swimmers had. He didn't look like a varsity athlete, but he had the posture of one.