XI: ANDERS - survival instincts

It was like a low budget version of Coney Island

But considering the fact that these booths were funded and manned by the town's own people, it was pretty impressive. They even had a ferris wheel and mini farm.

"I feel like I'm in Grease."

I looked at Meadow, scanning her body from head to toe. She was wearing one of those puffy sleeved tops and denim shorts, completing the look with a pair of white air force nike shoes. It was cute.

"You're not covered in grease," I said.

"Not grease grease," she replied, rolling her eyes. "Grease, the musical. That one with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in it?"

I shook my head, completely clueless.

"But you know Hamilton," she remarked.

"That's because my mom knew one of the producers," I explained. "She dragged me to see it on opening night."

I could feel Meadow watching me carefully, before saying, "For someone who got dragged, you sure know all the words."

Busted. "It's very catchy."

She looked skeptical, so I decided to change the subject.

"What should we try first?" I turned my head as I scanned the booths around us. We were surrounded with food stalls.

"I'm not sure—Ooh, there's ice cream!"

With the last word, Meadow hopped over to the ice cream booth. She ordered the same flavors we had for milkshakes that time in the diner. Before she could, I pulled out my wallet and paid for our ice cream cones.

"You're on a budget," she protested.

I shook my head, licked my sweet cold treat, and said, "I barely spent any of my allowance, and it piled up."

She stared at me in wonder. "So this is what privilege looks like."

I smirked. "You're very slow, aren't you?"

She stuck her tongue out at me, causing me to laugh.

We walked around, checking out various booths as we finished our dessert. Like I mentioned before, there were farm animals for the kids to play with. There was a stage with a band playing, while adults were drinking.

Did you know the one thing that stood out to me most, though?

Everybody had smiles on their faces.

This was the kind of summer they advertised in commercials and romanticized in films. In the city, it meant crowds of people bathing in the sun in central park. Everyone I knew, on the other hand, would either be in the Hamptons or Europe.

This was kind of... homey.

"Anders."

Meadow's eyes sparkled as she looked at me.