III: ANDERS - too bored to function

This was killing me

This was killing me.

I swung my chair around, bored out of my fucking mind. I'd only been here for two weeks. September couldn't come fast enough.

When the yacht sank earlier this month, I was sure my mom would kill me. But I didn't think she'd actually send me to my very own hell. I hated not being able to do anything, and being here in this town with absolutely nothing to do...

It was a death sentence.

If only her foundation didn't fund this center, I wouldn't be here. I'd like to give whoever it was that gave her the idea to send me to this place a piece of my mind.

I didn't even know what I was doing here 'volunteering.' I didn't have much to do, anyway. I was better off on house arrest back at home.

Although, at least I wasn't sent halfway across the planet like Gavin and Conrad. Aurora was the only one of us who was allowed to stay in the city because this was the summer she was coming out to society as a debutante.

Sometimes, I wished I was a girl.

Then again, with Aurora's control freak mom... No, thanks.

"Anders, dear," Grace called, in that uppity musical tone she always used.

I stopped spinning the chair and straightened up.

"Do you mind helping Meadow fold the newly washed sheets?"

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do mind.

"No, not at all." I put on a smile and started to get up. "Oh, shoot. Didn't you need me to man the front desk?" I'd rather do nothing than be caught dead doing chores.

"No, Louie came to work today. He's covering it."

"Great." Shit.

I headed to the laundry room, peeking through the doorway first in case the quiet girl was dancing again. But this time, she wasn't.

Today, she was wearing one of those sundresses with puff sleeves. Her long black hair cascaded down her back. She was actually cute, albeit awkward. She blended into the background so well I didn't even notice her on my first day here.

I didn't bother making an effort in talking to her – neither did she. It was as if we were satisfied co-existing in the same space.

However, we did share a heated conversation just a few days ago.

I remembered how I was hanging out in the back building, smoking weed to help me pass the time. But then out of the blue, she walked by. When she caught sight of me, she marched up and grabbed my joint before stomping on it.

My forehead creased, and I straightened up.

"Hey!"

"Have you no shame?" she demanded. "People here are trying to get over their addiction and here you are parading it as if you're taunting them!"