III

„I can't just sit here and watch the world burn down.", Sam complained and looked at Dean, expecting him to say something but all Dean did was sit at the big table, staring at the world map and tearing his hair.
„Dean!", Sam addressed his brother.
Dean jumpily stood up from his chair.
„What do you expect me to do?", he yelled, „It's not like I can chase Chuck and bring him here! We are defenseless!"
That coming out of Dean's mouth was hard for Sam to hear. Sam always believed in possibilities and chances - he wasn't one to easily give up. His brother was a bit more pessimistic sometimes but usually didn't quickly give up either.
„Maybe we should solve a case as a distraction.", Brandon said and walked into the room. He had a pancake in his hand.
Dean looked at him as if Brandon was insane. He seemed so chill and was just casually eating pancakes while Chuck literally destroyed the entire planet.
„What?", he asked, „Kansas is safe so far and it's not like the monsters stop being who they are just because Chuck is going a little crazy."
While saying the name Chuck he had the most disgust in his voice.
„He is right. I will look for a case!", Sam said and opened his laptop. Brandon closed it again.
„How am I supposed to look for cases if you shut my laptop?"
„Cassandra made breakfast. That's the preparation you do before you look for any cases."
Neither Sam nor Dean understood how he could care about breakfast now but they still reluctantly followed him into the kitchen.

"I made pancakes.", Cassandra announced as they entered the room and smiled widely. She decided to at least try to be positive today.
"Great.", Dean said and grabbed one right out of the pan. Cassandra stared at him with a confused look on her face.
"Don't you want to use a plate or something?", she asked as she saw Dean stuffing the pancake into his mouth.
"We own plates?", Dean asked and cheekily grinned at Sam. Sam just rolled his eyes.
"We do.", he said and took one out of the kitchen cupboard and another one for his brother.

They all sat together on the kitchen table and had an actual breakfast. The Winchester brothers didn't remember when they ever had such a thing for the last time. However it made them feel quite sentimental, even though Dean would never admit that. Unlike him Sam couldn't hide it. His eyes were filled with tears out of emotion.
Alright, don't cry., he told himself, You have to act cool.
He couldn't act cool. He didn't cry but apparently Cassandra noticed how he felt.
"Are you okay?", she whispered so that only Sam could hear it - she sat right next to him.
Sam nodded his head.
"I am.", he said, "It's just so... special to me."
He looked at her. He felt like back in the good old days when he was a kid and Dean bought them some cheap breakfast in a random bakery. Of course Cassandra's breakfast was self made and therefore even better but he felt a bit at home.
"We didn't have an actual meal together since... I don't know. I can't even tell. It's just been so long."
"And it's been even longer since a lady cooked for us.", Dean added and winked at Cassandra, "Especially such a good looking one."
Cassandra rolled her eyes.
"Alright, if one more person points out my looks in the next couple of hours I will riot.", she chuckled  and stared at her plate, "Men are weird."
"Yep, yep, they are.", Brandon said and started laughing.
"You are one yourself.", Dean said and took another pancake. He didn't even bother to put it on the plate but stuffed it right in his mouth.
"I know but I still agree with Cas.", Brandon replied.
Suddenly he heard a flap of wings and felt someone standing behind him.
"I am here.", a deep voice said and Cassandra couldn't hold it together any longer. She burst out laughing. Everyone else started laughing as well.
"What's so funny?", the man asked and looked seriously confused. "You called for me and now I am here."
"I didn't call for you.", Brandon explained after he calmed down a bit, "Cas is Cassandra's nickname."
"It's also mine.", the man said, "This is confusing."
He took a seat right next to Brandon.
"I am sorry, Castiel.", he apologized, "I didn't think of you angels not getting any jokes."
Sam started chuckling again but tried to not laugh too loud. He understood Castiel. They've worked together for years now and he never really understood the human humor. But, admittedly, it most of the time was quite hilarious.
"It's okay.", Castiel simply said and took a pancake as well. He didn't eat it though but played with it in his hands. Dean took the pancake out of Castiel's hand.
"That's a waste of food.", he said and stuffed it in his mouth. Sam shook his head.
"What?", Dean asked with his full mouth and looked at Sam, "It's true."

After a short moment of silence Sam decided to get up and check the web for a case to work on.
He opened his laptop.
"Let's see if I can find something easy-going as a distraction from this mess."
He scrolled down several news pages. Dean, Castiel, Cassandra and Brandon stood behind him to read the articles as well.
"Wait!", Cassandra stopped Sam from scrolling as her eyes fell on an article, "A 'death forest' in Michigan..."
Sam scanned the article.
"It says almost 60 percent of the wanderers entering it never get out.", he stated. "There are even guided tours you can book. No guarantee you get back though."
He looked at Dean.
"Wendigo?", Dean asked and Sam rose his eyebrows.
"Possible.", he confirmed and looked at Cassandra and Brandon. "What do you say? Do we check it out?"