V

As they arrived at the forest nothing seemed unfamiliar to them. It looked like any other forest in Michigan with... well, trees and branches and leaves... It was really just a forest. It didn't even look spectacular. But that's the tricky part about Wendigos: They don't really leave marks behind. They surprise you when you expect it the least.
„How do we find it?", Brandon asked. Yes, he has been a hunter for quite a while but he never hunted a Wendigo. Also Cassandra always did the theory and research so he probably wouldn't even know if a certain thing was called 'Wendigo'. Maybe he would recognize it if he saw it but wouldn't know it's name.
„It has to attack us.", Dean explained and got out of the car to look for a wooden hut or anything else where they could book a death-tour.
„They hide in caves.", Sam added as he saw Brandon's shocked look on his face, „But their hiding spots are super hard to find. Being attacked is actually the easiest way."
Brandon swallowed. He was expecting everything but for sure not that. As he looked for Cassandra to reassure hisself if they should actually do it he noticed she already got out of the car and stood outside, waiting for him to join her.
„It's gonna be fun!", she exclaimed as he walked by her side. They were following Dean.
Fun.... Are you sure this is the right term?", Brandon asked. He almost tripped over a branch that laid on the ground.
„Since when are you that scared?", Cassandra asked, „I remember you a lot braver."
Well, I didn't care that much about you a couple of years ago., Brandon thought. Of course he always cared about Cassandra and her wellbeing and protected her during hunts but he always saw her as a friend. A work-partner.
When she called him again a couple of weeks ago it was different. They had an awkward start because they haven't seen each other for quite a while but after some time he got to know her again, better and better. He realized that they both have changed. Cassandra wasn't the little, shy girl anymore. She was determined, a lot stronger and braver than when they were together the last time. She has always been a good hunter but lacked confidence. Not anymore.
Brandon also has changed. Hunting shaped him, made him build walls around himself, not really letting anyone in. Except for Cassandra. She broke through his walls as if they weren't even there in the first place. She made him feel something after such a long time. He thought he lost himself and she helped him find out who he was every day, without even knowing it.
„I just don't want anything to happen to you.", Brandon said and Cassandra stopped walking for a second. She looked at him and took his face in her hands.
„I will take care, okay?" She smiled at him softly, hoping to assure him. „I promise."
„Good.", Brandon whispered, leaning his head closer towards hers. His lips were just inches away from hers.
His heart best way faster than it should have,
No, Brandon. Stop. You can't fall for her.
Feelings would have destroyed every possibility to hunt together. They would only be in the way. Not helpful.
But you can't really control your heart.

„Hey, lovebirds!", Dean interrupted them and pointed at a poster that hung on a tree. „It advertises the tours. It says which shop offers them."
Cassandra walked towards it, away from Brandon, closer to Dean, and read the poster. It was a bit broken, showing signs of age but it was still worth a try to check it out.
„We should go there.", Dean said and Cassandra nodded.
„Yeah, we should. But don't call us lovebirds again."
Dean rose his eyebrows and grinned at her cheekily. He totally would do it again.
„Well, that's what I saw."
„No, you didn't."
„Yes, I did."
Dean was trying really hard to hold his laughter. He loved teasing Cassandra a bit. Her cheeks turned so red when she started to get a bit mad at him, he loved to see it.
„Alright...", Sam interrupted them. „You can discuss about that later. But now we have to drive to the shop to book a tour."
„He is right.", Brandon said and started heading back to the car.
„Well, half right.", Cassandra corrected him. „There is nothing to discuss about later because I am right, right?"
Brandon looked at her confused, didn't really know what to say.
„Right about the lovebirds thing.", she explained.
Brandon felt his cheeks turning red. He understood what she meant, there was no need for her to explain it. The problem was he didn't agree with her. He was just not brave enough to admit it.
„Of course you are. No love. Everything is platonic."
Maybe he nodded a bit too much.
„Very platonic.", Cassandra agreed with him. She also nodded her head way more than necessary.
„Yes, very very platonic."