CH 04

Life is short, life happens in a blink of an eye. Or, at least that's what Lena felt when she got a call in the middle of the night...

"Hello? Who's this?"

With a sleeping voice, Lena answers her phone. She sounds grumpy because it's barely 3am in the morning. Who calls at 3am? Lena wonders, and she feels angry enough to snap at whoever is disturbing her rest because she already struggles to sleep due to her work, and the last thing she needs is someone interrupting her dreams.

Being the CEO of an international company comes with a very demanding schedule, and Lena makes her life even harder because she's a workaholic. The work is always first. Lena barely eats, she barely sleeps because she doesn't make the time to get the rest she needs. And, when she finally gets a little time to herself, someone calls her very late. Is this a joke from the Universe? Or, a reminder that she doesn't deserve to rest well at all?

Whatever is the reason behind this call, Lena is really upset, ready to yell to whoever is calling at this hour, but, before she could snap, her brain decides to say nothing at all when the only thing she hears it's the crying of someone else...

"Who's this?"

Her heart pounds fast, and a cold chill spread over her body when she recognizes the phone number.

"K-K-Kara...?"

No reply, just sobs and crying is what Lena is able to hear, but, she knows it's Kara, deep down, she knows it's her.

"Kara, what is wrong?!"

Lena's brain needs to hear a reason for a call at this late hour while her heart is telling her ' Don't! Don't ask!'. Lena never follows her heart, so she asks again for a reason for this call. Between sobs, Kara finds the strength to finally speak out.

It's when Kara starts talking that Lena realizes that she should have listened to her heart because she really doesn't want to hear this at all.

In her fancy bed, in her luxurious penthouse, Lena wildly opens her eyes because once again, her world was turning upside down after another call from Kara Danvers.

"Where do you think you'll be when you get old, Lex?"

"How old?"

"Really old..."

Lex shrugs, he has never wondered how he will be during his old-age. And, when he asks Lena why she's asking such a question when she's barely 8 years old, the younger Luthor replies...

"I don't want to end like Mother. And you? Do you think you'll be like Father...?"

"I don't know... but, being like our parents. Is it really the worst thing that could ever happen to us?"

For Lena, it was. Becoming her mother as time goes by, it has always been the biggest fear for her. But, Lex was right, getting old, like their parents, wasn't the worst thing that could ever happen to them. No, the worst thing that could ever happen, it's to never get the chance to get old at all...

"Miss Luthor, we've arrived..."

It was a Saturday morning when the chauffeur announced their arrival to Smallville. A little town with few people that knew about its existence. Passing by the streets, Lena wonders how Lex ended up in a place like this in the first place. From the window of her car, she finds nothing charming in the town that her brother chose to live in, and she might be right, there's nothing extraordinary in a little town as Smallville. But, this was Clark's town. And that was enough for Lex to fall in love with the little town.