Chapter 6: Sick

Authors Note: Boy, aren't you glad you didn't have to wait a day for this next part? (I'm having a little too much fun with these notes, if you couldn't tell). Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy!

-Saturn

He wanted to kill him. He wanted to tear him limb from limb until he was begging for mercy. That's what his instincts were telling him to do.

Max knew something was wrong in the car. He could feel it. His mate was in trouble. Normally, he wouldn't be able to feel it until they built a stronger connection. But there was something about Charlie that made all his senses enhance about him, especially his supernatural senses.

With a quick word, his father stopped the car on the side of the road. He ran into the forest that was around the asphalt freeway. His wolf was faster than his human form. His clothes ripped and shredded off his body as he changed from two-legged to four-legged. And, just like that, he caught onto the scent he wanted to. The smell of apples and cinnamon was pretty simple to track. What alarmed him was the hint of copper in his scent.

Blood.

Someone was hurting his mate.

A growl ripped through his mouth as he sprinted back to the restaurant. It was there that he saw the beautiful blond bloody and battered by the dumpsters.

"This is what you get for stealing people's things," the man hovering over him said. He recognized the smell: smoke and the strong smell of body odor.

Evon.

He was bending over him, feeling for his pockets. And Charlie looked so hopeless. Those meadows had given up all hope, as they got burned to the ground.

Another growl escaped his throat, catching the man's attention. Evon changed from a ruthless bully, to a school girl all in a second. He dropped everything and ran back inside the second that Max bared his teeth at him.

He wanted to follow him and give him a lesson in how to deal with people stealing your things. He would drag his carcass all the way to the river and watch as he drifted off, never to be seen again.

But then he saw Charlie more closely. He was unconscious at this point, his hands wrapped around his stomach.

His heartbeat was getting weaker.

It only took a second for him to mind link with his father. He showed him the memory of what he had just seen and felt his father get just as angry as he.

"Wait there with him," he ordered, "We'll pick both of you up and drive him to a hospital."

"Why not bring him to ours?" he couldn't imagine letting a hospital take care of him. He wanted to take care of him.

"Human's don't belong in the pack house," his dad replied, "You know that."

"But think about what he did for us, and how nice he was. Don't you think we should help him the best we can?" Max was trying to be reasonable. He was fighting the strong urge to yell that it was his mate they were talking about.

His father seemed to sense the worry he had. It was more than he should have for a stranger, let alone a human. He seemed curious as to why, but didn't press the matter.

"Fine," he sighed. "I had no idea you had such a soft spot for these humans. But, you're right. Our doctor's closer anyway."

"Thank you."

"You owe me big time for this," was all he said before the mind link was broken.

He looked at Charlie again. The poor man was bloodied pretty badly. Evon must have been wearing heavy boots that could cause some cuts with the bruises. Max couldn't really change out of his wolf form unless he wanted to risk someone seeing him naked. So, instead, he tried licking his wounds.