Chapter Two: The Doctor

"I hate this place. I don't know why you always insist on coming here, Kar."

Alex shifted her weight anxiously as they waited in the exceptionally long line.

"It's close to work and they don't judge me when I don't order coffee."

"I still don't understand your no coffee policy. If I gave up coffee, I would wither away and die. I'm not human until I have my first cup."

"Some of my patients come in and they have the worst coffee breath ever. You smell that enough and you will literally drink motor oil before you'll drink coffee. Besides, all of my patients require a softer touch. I can't be amped up on caffeine all day," Kara said shaking her head.

"I feel you judging me, Kar."

"Alex, I don't have the time to judge you. We need to run these errands and I need to get back to work. I have more patients to see in the afternoon."

"Kar, you need to take a breather. I know you have a big beautiful knew car to pay off but you need to take some time for yourself."

"Why did I let you talk me into buying a BMW? It feels like...", Kara said, before Alex interrupted.

"Sexy? A symbol of success?", Alex asked.

"Pretentious. It feels like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not. I was fine in my old car."

"You're the number one dentist in Los Angeles. A magazine said so! Come on. You need to look the part."

"I'm the number one dentist in Los Angeles because I am kind to my patients, treat them with love and understanding, and I don't act like the douchebags that drive brand new BMWs."

Kara and Alex stepped to the front of the line. Kara smiled sweetly at the woman behind the counter. All of Kara's smiles were infectious. It was her superpower. People looked at Kara and they instantly adored her and trusted her. People's reactions to Kara annoyed Alex to no end because the same people who adored Kara looked at Alex like she was about to say something gruff. That was usually true, but just for once she wanted a stranger to smile at her like they smiled at Kara. Alex was constantly pointing out to Kara how unfair it was.

"Hi, what can I get you?", the woman behind the counter asked.

"Hi, we'll take a large green tea and a small macchiato," Kara said cheerfully.

The woman behind the counter called out the order. The barista grinned at Kara and started marking the cups.

"Name?", the woman behind the counter asked.

Alex looked over at Kara, who seemed transfixed by something behind them.

"Kar... Kar?", Alex said, trying to get Kara's attention.

Alex gave the woman behind the counter an embarrassed smile.

"Sorry. Just write, Alex."

The woman gave her a cool nod, and Alex paid. She grabbed Kara's arm and dragged her out of the line and towards the waiting area.

"Okay, what the hell was that? Earth to Kara, come in Kara."

"I... I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know, Kar? Are you okay? Do you need a doctor?"

"No. I just saw someone", Kara said, still distracted.

"Someone you know?", Alex asked, confused.

"No. I've never seen her before, but she was so beautiful. Like other-worldly beautiful. Like a supermodel walks amongst us beautiful."

Kara was in a daze. She felt a lightning strike in her chest. She set her cell phone down on the counter and shook her hands. They were tingling. Everything was tingling.