Try Again?

Chapter 4

It has been four months since I've seen Amity. Last time I saw her was when she left abruptly. I could see sadness in her eyes, mixed with worry and fear. I hated the sight. I haven't been able to get her off my mind.

I've been reflecting on my actions, and I know I shouldn't have slapped away her hand but something inside of me prevented me from hugging her, and holding her close. I knew where it came from though, I couldn't allow her to see me like this, so broken, and if she knew what I've done since I've left, she would probably hate me, and the thought always terrified me.

I decided to get up, I didn't want to sulk any longer. I quickly put on something comfortable, and head out of my room and to the living room. Seeing no sign of Eda or King, I figured it'd be best just to leave. Hooty starts talking but I ignore him, still trying to get Amity off my mind. I let out a long sigh, tring to release those last thoughts of her. I stand still, looking over at the sky, before deciding to head to the market. 'It has been a long while since I've been there, I wonder if it's still like I remember.' I thought to myself, starting to walk.

~~~

After about a 30 minute walk, I finally reached the market. At first appearance it was the same. The sight brought a small smile to my face, mixed with warmth. Looking at the stands, there were some I remember and others I've never seen. It was crowded but not overly. I was able to easily make my way though.

*bump*

Someone walked into my shoulder, "Hey, watch it!" I yell. Looking over my shoulder, I see that I bumped into Boscha. Her eyes widened at the sight of me, and quickly averted her attention to the ground. Next to her was Willow and Gus, Gus who was basically looking behind him, not wanting to acknowledge my existence, I couldn't blame him though. Willow was the only one who actually made eye contact with me.

"Hey Luz..." Willow said, obviously not wanting to be mean, but would rather walk away. "How have you been?"

"Uhh, I've been okay." I responded and suddenly in the back of my mind, Amity's face appeared. "A-actually, have you guys seen...Amity?" 'Oh shit, why did I say that.' Regret instantly filled me. It was an impulsive action, but no turning back now.

At the corner of my eye, I notice Boscha slightly grinding her teeth, clearly out of anger, though I couldn't quite guess why. Gus doesn't even move a muscle.

"Amity...she..." Willow said. Panic started to fill me, I hated that reaction. 'Is Amity okay, is she alive, where can I find her? Was it because of that text she got? Could it have been my fault?' So many thoughts running through my brain, and I couldn't land on any single thoughts for long.

"Amity had been through a lot, Luz. Honestly, none of us know when we are gonna see her."

I heard Boscha mutter something under her breath, the only word I was able to pick up was; "Mother".

"Amity's mom?" I said, my voice kinda filled with confusion. 'Of course I knew her mom was mean and rude, controlling, but she had her dad and siblings with her. They were there for her. What happened?'

Suddenly Boscha loses control. "Her fucking mother can go die in a goddamn hole! Never even letting Amity leave the HOUSE! Ugh! Amity probably has inju-". Willow quickly covers Boshca's mouth and shakes her, which makes her be quiet. Boscha looks up to me, realizing she almost just revealed a lot of stuff about Amity. Seeing Boscha's reaction, Willow lets go of her. "Hey, Luz..?"

"Yah?"

"Umm, I currently despise how you've been acting, but I don't know what else to do. You see, Amity has been through a lot since you've left. I've tried my best to get her...you know...mentally stable, but it's always futile. She never listens to me, but maybe, j-just maybe, she'll listen to you". Suddenly Boscha jumps up at me, pressing her finger hard against my chest. "She has been waiting for you this entire time! And what do you do?! Slap her away! How fucking dare you!"