Chapter 2: Dollhouse

Once again, the sunlight wakes me up. I push my hair out of my face, sit up, and glance at my calendar. "Dang it, today's the 14th..." I climb out of bed and glance at the outfit thrown onto my floor. It's a pink sailor-style dress with a matching bow, and it's the worst outfit I've ever seen. I pull it on angrily, and stalk over to my vanity. I put on as little makeup as possible, and stomp down the stairs. For once, my mom was actually awake before me, and she was sitting at the table, reading the news. I sat down and she glanced at me but didn't say anything. After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, she clears her throat. "So, I see you remembered that it's photo day.." She said slowly. "Yep. And, why are we doing this again?" I ask her angrily. "Because I want a family picture." My mom says, glaring at me. I look down at my hands. She gives me a forced smile and continues reading. This is...awkward. I say to myself, not quite knowing what to say. My dad walks downstairs, looking really bored. Well, he always looks bored or preoccupied, but today he looked especially bored. "It's...photo day, correct?" he asks my mom. "Yes." She says, her voice slightly angry. We wait a few minutes, and Thomas comes downstairs, looking cheerful as always. He sits down with us and there's a few moments of silence. Suddenly, there's a really loud knock on the door. My mom opens it, and a tall, sinister-looking man walks in. I assume he's the photographer, because he has a camera. My mom smiles forcedly at us, and we all walk into the living room. I played with the bow in my hair while we all got into our places. Then, the man started taking picture after picture. Thomas was really the only one smiling, because my mom's smile was obviously fake, my dad was still looking bored, and I didn't feel like smiling. After a few minutes, the man nodded and packed up his camera. My mom went to go talk to him, and I walked upstairs to change. I pulled off the itchy sailor dress and instead put on a baby-doll style black dress. After I changed, I began walking downstairs, until I heard yelling and froze in my tracks. "Why do you keep doing this?!!" I heard my dad yelling. "Because heaven forbid I have a happy family!!!" My mom yelled back. "It's not gonna be happy if this continues!!" My dad sounded angrier than I had ever heard him, which worried me. "I don't want my daughter to be a CRYBABY!!" My mom yelled. My eyes widened, and I started slowly walking up the stairs. "You named her that!! Do you even love her?!!" My dad said, even angrier than before. I ran up the stairs and into my room before I could hear my mom's response. Tears started pouring down my face, but I ignored them. I sat on the fluffy rug in the middle of my floor, listening to my parent's argument drift through the floorboards. "I guess I am just a Crybaby..."I mumbled to myself as I continued crying. I heard a knock, but I didn't respond. "Crybaby?!!" I heard a voice call. "Come in.." I sighed. To my surprise, it was Angelita. She walked over to me and sat down. "Oh...hi Angelita..." I said. "Crybaby, are you okay? I mean, I could hear your parents yelling from my house..." She said, glancing out the window. "Yeah...They got into a fight, and I have no idea why.." I muttered, wiping my face with my hands. Angelita sighed. "It's gonna be okay Crybaby, it's gonna be okay.." She said, putting her arms around me. I calm myself down slightly and stand up. I grab Angelita's hand and walk down the stairs. My mom is standing in the kitchen with her head in her hands. She notices me and sighs, her head still in her hands. I walk out the door and into the backyard. Angelita looks around, and then she turns around and smiles at me. I smile at her sadly and sit down. The sun shines brightly down on us, and I try to relax and ignore all the pain in my life.