Chapter Three ~ the Jungle

"Y-you won't kill me? What about the war? Aren't we supposed to be enemies? Go ahead! KILL ME!"

"No" was Zohdi's only reply.

"Goodbye, Zohdi." Aleya said as she flew off, not looking back. Zohdi watched her wings flap as she flew away. He knew she would return. Her scent was angrier than it had ever been. He listened as her wings flapped, but the scent was fresh and would be for a long time. The other mountain cats would hunt her down.

Zohdi couldn't let that happen.

He ran around the jungle, grabbing every flower in sight and leaving a trail of them in hopes that the other mountain cats would smell the flowers instead of Aleya.

But he knew they wouldn't.

He had to try.

Zohdi heard a snap of a twig behind him and smelled a familiar scent. "Zubeya. What are you doing here?"

"I came here wondering why my little brother was running around picking flowers. Are those for someone special?" She said, looming in on his face.

"They're, erm, for... for Ma! Her birthday is coming up soon, remember? I was gathering some pretty flowers for her! You better run home to tell her I'm making a surprise!" Zohdi tried to stiff a smile.

"All right, Zohdi. I'll believe you this time. Next time you won't be so lucky." She flashed him her usual fierce smile. "Also, I smell some Feather. Did you happen to see any around?"

"Um... Nope! Totally did not see any. Did you?" he blurted out.

"Like I said, you're being a little weird. I still suspect that something is up." she said, walking away. "See ya!"

Zohdi breathed a sigh of relief. He was very close to getting caught. If he was found not killing a Feather, that would be very bad. He was trained since the moment he opened his eyes to always have a deep hatred of feathers.

But today, something in him... changed.

His sword felt heavy in his paws. Zohdi slightly pulled out from the sheath and stared at his reflection in the highly polished sword.

"What have I been doing with my life? I'm not a killer. I've only ever murdered a snowbird."

Zohdi looked out at the jungle ahead of him. The scent of Feather was still strong. If he followed the scent, he could lead the tribe to an entire encampment of Feather...

No. Zohdi was not what he thought he was. He was a hero, not a killer. A hero wouldn't murder another tribe that had done no harm.

Instead of turning back, Zohdi marched forward in hopes of finding Aleya again.