Flashbacks

I look at the guy sitting next to me at the round table

I look at the guy sitting next to me at the round table. It's like he’s studying me, he’s not sure of why I’m here. His eyes are kind, not judgmental. Of course, being new, I have to prove myself to this team. But, I don’t think I have to prove myself to him.

I stand in the elevator texting on my phone. I look up as the doors are getting ready to shut, I see Spencer, rushing to the elevator, slinging his messenger bag over his shoulder. I quickly put my hand in front of the elevator so it opens back up. He smiles as he enters the elevator.

“Thanks.” He says to me, the elevator doors shut.

“No problem.” I say to him, stuffing my phone in my back pocket.

“How was your first day?” he asks.

“Uh, to be honest, I was really nervous.” I nervously laugh.

“You did great presenting that case.”

“Thanks, yeah, Aaron said I should present it since I was opening it back up again.”

The doors open and we step out of the elevator and walk to the parking garage.

“You heading home?” He asks me.

“Yeah, I am. What about you?” I look at him as we walk through the parking garage.

“I was thinking of going to the coffee shop down the street.”

“By yourself?”

“Not unless you want to join.” He gives a small smile.

Spencer and I sit at a table in the corner of the coffee shop. I watch as he adds tons of sugar to his coffee. He looks at me and smiles.

“I like sugar in my coffee.” He says innocently.

“I couldn’t tell.” I tease. “ I’m sure my Frappuccino has just as much sugar as your coffee.” I smile.

Spencer smirks at me in the seat across from me on the plane. I lower my eyes at him and look at my cards. I can never tell with him when it comes to this game. He pushes the rest of his cashews in the center of the table.

“whats the ratio of cashews to fruit gummies?” I ask.

“Cashews are worth $5. Gummies are $1.” He says, raising an eyebrow.

“You made that up.” I say.

He shrugs and smiles. “I’ll write the food ratios to money next time we play. Come on, cough up or fold.” He smiles.

“he always changes the money ratio of plane snacks.” Derek says sitting on the couch watching us.

“Not true. Everyone gets equal food money in the beginning.” Spencer points at Derek.