Chapter 1, Part 1: The Night of the Fall

Spring is the loveliest season.

The flowers growing tall, the plants bursting from the ground, and the loveliest weather that you could imagine. Warm enough to bask in the heat, but windy enough to keep you cool as you're standing around.

For most people, springtime is a season to cherish and enjoy, simply because of the sheer beauty of the season.

This holds true for some kids, such as Mya Reels. Mya always stopped to smell the flowers, as many would say. She would sit in the sun on an old wicker chair with a book in hand for hours at a time, catching up on her newest find. She never got bored of the season, which was clear to see. She loved the spring fashion, too - all of the gorgeous pastel colours, and the pretty pink blouse she had in her closet that was just waiting for spring to arrive so that she could wear it.

For other teens like Lila Douglas, the big semi-formal dance that occurred every springtime was enough to make her love the season alone. By no means was Lila popular, as some would expect from her looks and her likes (along with the fact that she was adopted by a rather famous family) - rather, she elegantly floated from friend-group to friend-group, still searching for the people who would accept her fully for who she was. Lila was an odd girl, and she loved that for herself, but it was hard to fit in sometimes. 

Lila loved that dance and cherished it as a moment where she could look normal for once. It was finally the big night, April 15th. Lila bounced around her house, getting ready and singing while she worked on putting together her outfit - a dress that she had impressively sewn from scratch.

For a kid like Matthew, spring was also a favourite. He simply had much less of a show for it. Matthew was someone you would consider a 'class clown', but he bore no offensive jokes, a group of kind and non-trouble-making friends, and was a guy who knew when to stop. he knew his limits. Matthew was liked by everyone, but he had a thick layer of skin that no one could see through. No one could see that, on the inside, he was a very soft boy and cherished things like spring and fall for their elegance and grace.

For teens like George and Jonathan, spring meant study-time. Exams didn't just write themselves, and although each student had their own courses (Jonathan had a passion for drama, whereas George had a passion for the art of English), studying was a commonality amongst the two of them. They both, as the rest of the students did, decided to take a night off of their regular lives and attend the annual semi-formal, just for fun.

'What harm could it do?' they asked themselves. 'It's just one night.'

So, each student took the time to dress in their best attire. Mya seized the opportunity to wear her favourite pink blouse with a pair of black dress-pants; an homage to her favourite band, along with being something comfortable that she could wear that complimented her slim figure and dark skin perfectly. Lila slipped on her newest creation, a black and white dress - one that looked fancy yet casual at the same time. It had taken her around a week to make - her biggest and proudest project yet. She was in love with the way that it looked on her. It really brought out the natural curls and curves along her body and in her hair. 

Matthew chose a simple black dress shirt with white dress-pants, a bold move that would make his friends laugh, yet something that he would still feel comfortable in. George wore a nice baby-blue dress shirt with black pants, chosen for comfort over style. Jonathan, on the other hand, chose a light pink button-up with the fanciest pockets and the most uncomfortable tie. It complimented him, though. His mother loved it, and pink was his favourite colour. Most guys from small towns were unaccepting of any boys who were 'unmasculine' in their eyes, but he tried to ignore them, and was learning to wear what he wanted. He was his own person, after all, and he didn't want to let anyone rain on his parade. Besides, his girlfriend had pink hair, and he thought that it would be fun and interesting to match it.