Chapter 1, Part 2: The Big Bang

With each step, the light had become bigger and bigger. First, it was the size of a quarter. Then, it was the size of a teddy bear, then a chair, a desk, and now, sitting in front of them, it appeared as if the light was as big as a small car. It was floating over their heads in the middle of that abandoned field like some sort of sun that had fallen from the sky, landing 10 feet from the ground. When they looked upward, this bright, yellow, gigantic ball was all that they could see. They kept their distances, not wanting to injure themselves, but stayed close enough to investigate.

"What in the ever-loving world am I looking at?" Jonathan asked himself quietly, nose scrunched up and brows furrowed. He bravely but curiously took a step closer to the ball of light and began to reach out his hand to touch it.

George noticed Jonathan's advance, and immediately became concerned about his health. Even though they didn't know each other, they also didn't know enough about whatever this was yet to go less than a meter close to it, let alone touch it. "Wait!" he yelled, stepping in front of Jonathan. George smacked his hand against Jonathan's to bring it down. He looked Jonathan in the eye, Jonathan clearly confused. 

"You could have gotten hurt! What were you thinking? We don't know anything about this thing!", he scolded angrily and annoyed. He kept the other boy's hand in his for a second before letting go, realizing that he still had a grip on Jonathan's arm. Jonathan ripped back his hand, rubbing it for a few seconds before relaxing and looking back at the group.

"Well, at least now we know that he'd be the mom friend in a group," Jonathan chuckled, pointing his thumb over to George before bringing his attention back to the vibrant, extraordinary ball. "It doesn't seem to be radiating any heat, per se. And we're standing here able to see, so it's obviously not bright enough to hurt our eyes. Does anyone remember anything from science class? Geography? Or maybe, more likely, history?"

"How on Earth would history help us with this?" Matthew asked annoyed, rolling his eyes as he took a step closer to the ball to study it further.

"It's weird," began Lila, "I should say, it's odd that it's not radiating any heat at all. It can't be a fallen sun, and it's definitely not a fallen moon, or we'd all be frozen in our spots right now," she suggested.

"That's true," pitched in Mya. "I think that George may be right about the whole history thing, I don't know. I'd say it seems like someone summoned it."

"Summoned it?" asked Matthew sarcastically. He rolled his eyes and laughed. "With, like, powers? Ha! Did anyone actually pay attention in history class, or was it just me? No one's summoned anything in Sayersville in over a hundred years. Do you remember 'The Great Ban of 1902'? Leave the summoning to the city folk or the people in the Heat Climate. It's legal there, not here."

"I don't even really know what summoning does," Mya responded, doubtful of Matthew's answer, "but I'm sure it's a lot more present in this town than we know". Lila jumped in, giving an explanation, "I think that it's when you have some sort of ability to bring up, or, in other words, summon a major force of the earth, like light, that someone can use to manipulate to their heart's content. That's why it's so dangerous, you could start a war by having soldiers just throw light at each other. It's scary, I don't know why it's legal".

George butted in and pondered aloud, "Well, what if someone from the Heat Climate came up here to summon it? Or maybe a city person? We don't know," George asked the group, taking a step away from the ball at the thought of something so terribly illegal. Summoning things was dangerous in Sayersville, especially with the ban put in place. It was an old rule, but one that everyone followed well. If someone caught them playing with any of the forces, they'd surely be in extreme levels of trouble with the law.