First Day Last Year

"Valentina get up!" My mom shouts as she bangs on my door, pulling me out of my peaceful dreamland. 

"What?" I groan and try to fall back into warm, loving sleep. 

"You don't want to be late for your first day in school!" She warns, her voice fading as she heads back downstairs. 

My mood plummets as I remember it is the first day of my senior year. I am definitely less then thrilled that this day has rolled around so quickly. If I could choose a superpower it would definitely be to manipulate time. Think of all the wonderful, undisturbed sleep I could have. Last night Adrian had a meltdown saying he didn't want to go to school, and I nearly joined him. One of the reasons we chose to move to Ivywood is because they have a highly rated school which is especially for students that need a bit of extra help. My mom was also able to secure an office job close to his school, which convinced her that moving here was a sign from God. Blah. We calmed Adrian down by baking cookies in the kitchen together. He loves measuring out the ingredients and making sure they are exactly so. He is an OCD persons dream to bake with.

I have kept in contact with Maisie and Tiger who are giving me a ride to school as my mom has to take Adrian in a different direction, and it takes twenty minutes in a car, let alone if I had to walk! School starts at 7:30 meaning I have to drag my ass out of bed at 6:45am with twenty minutes to get ready. I have always had a major problem with school starting so early. My brain doesn't function until at least 10am, meaning most of the morning I am stumbling around like a zombie until I ain self-awareness. Still, it's fun to see the sun rising in AP Bio. And my cousin in Australia complains about an 8:30 start! 

I slowly roll out of bed, falling on my new cream teddy rug with a thump and waking myself up a little. Then it's off to the bathroom to splash my face with icy water and have a wash, panic at the time as my mom calls out 'bye', and sprint back to my room to get dressed. I yank on a random pair of bootcut jeans with a white crop top that only shows off an inch of my tummy, as I don't want to get dress-coded on the first day. Luckily my belly button piercing is covered as I doubt the teachers will be happy to see it peeking out. I got it as a lost dare when I was sixteen but I actually quite like it now. I didn't tell my mum for weeks, but when she finally noticed she decided to get one too as she loved the way it looked. She has always been more of the cool auntie type of mom. 

I powder my face, putting on a little mascara and bronzer to liven up my skin a bit and then hurry out of my room with my bag and shoes in hand, grabbing a banana and my lunch on the way. In the end I'm only two minutes late, and Tiger has only just pulled up anyway. It is a glorious September day and it already feels too warm. I hope everyone remembers to wear deodorant. 

"Hey Lena!" Maisie exclaims from the back as I hop into the passenger seat.

"Morning girls." I smile hoping I don't look half-dead. 

"Hi Lena it's good to see you again." Tiger smiles from the drivers seat looking a little sleepy.

Maisie on the other hand is wide awake with bright blue eyes, sitting with perfect posture and a wide peppy smile. I don't look that happy and jolly even when it's lunch time. 

Tiger pulls off into the queue of parents rushing to drop their kids off at school for a day of work, or even better, a day to themselves. We catch up and it makes my day as the girls seem to be really interested in my life, yet don't pry. I am very lucky to have met these two. Eventually the conversation drifts off and Tiger turns up her Foo Fighters CD letting us rock out. Maisie puts her headphones on and doodles in her sketchpad happily. She is dressed in a pretty floral corset top with jeans, and her lilac coloured hair is scooped up into a messy bun. We were not allowed to dye our hair any 'unnatural' colours in my old high school, so things must be done differently here. Although Maisie did say she lives with her grandparents, who I get the feeling are rich, and I think her grandad is something to do with the school board.