Chapter 1

Enjoy this first chapter!

     "Starbucks? Seriously, Serena?" May feigned shock and pulled her Gucci clutch closer.
     "I thought you didn't drink lattes from anywhere but that fifty dollar per-cup Coffe House place," teased Dawn. Serena brought the paper cup to her lips and took a silent, neat sip.
     "Today's a special occasion. Besides, you two bought Starbucks coffees, too," she sniffed, being careful not to spill anything on her white Stella McCartney shirt.
     "I mean, aren't the drinks from the Coffee House kind of...expensive?" offered Dawn, her British accent clear as day as her voice grew hesitant. May and Serena nearly spat out their drinks.
     "Dawn, since when have you started throwing that word around? It's pure rubbish!" wailed Serena incredulously.
     "Your dad's the billionaire here, you know?" May waved a ringed hand in front of her best friend's face. Dawn's twilight eyes rolled upwards dramatically.
     "Sure," she flashed a wicked grin. "And just like Serena said, we are here for a special occasion. Aren't we setting you up with someone?" May nodded, along fervently, stifling her giggles at Serena's long scowl.

     "What about Donovan?" mentioned May. The blonde opposing her snorted and shook her head wildly, her curls flying around. Dawn saw several boys eying them hungrily and sent them the filthy glare she'd mastered over years of chasing men off, and they fled the scene. Her friends watched her with amused expressions. Dawn shuffled her cream Yves Saint Laurent heels around and glanced up with an innocent look.
     "Darling, you have to stop doing that. We went to Zoey's flat and you scared off her college brother, remember? Besides, those boys were hot," she fanned herself to make an impression.
     "I have a partner," Dawn said sharply.
     "We don't," they said in unison, their nearly identical sky eyes meeting each other.

     "So, what about Donovan," she amended hastily.
     "He's cute, but a few picnics short of a sandwich," she replied flatly. Serena's English accent was a bit less clear than May and Dawn's, but she had her slangs and phrases nailed.
     "He did get a 60 per cent on the easiest test in freshman year," May remarked sheepishly. Serena smiled triumphantly.
     "Speaking of your partner," she leered around, looking for a purple-haired young man. "Where is he?" Dawn shifted uncomfortably and tugged at her Dries Van Noten blouse.
     "He's busy," she lied. Paul hadn't returned her calls, but she wasn't going to tell her friends that.
     "We know you better, Dawn," tutted May. "Where's that ungentlemanly bloke, anyway?"
     "Probably at rugby," she responded, tilting her head cheekily even though her insides were churning with hurt.

     "It seems like he loves sport more than you. I'm going to find that Paul and give him a good whipping," she said, pounding her fists on the wooden table. A group of middle-aged women gave her funny looks. Dawn guessed she didn't quite look the part of hitting someone, in her designer clothes and impossibly tall Louboutins.
     "But first, I'm knackered. I really want my silk sheets, now," she groaned, slumping down again. She glanced outside and saw the darkening sky, and the wind howling in a sound wolves would envy.
     "It is time to go, now." May agreed.
     "School's next week. I hear a group of boys from the States are coming," Serena gossiped eagerly.
     "Hope they're cute," May said dreamily.
     "Yeah, sure. As long as they're brighter than Donovan," the blonde rolled her eyes.
     "Misses? Your drivers are here," came the charming American accent of the Starbucks manager.
     "Give each other a ring tomorrow?" Serena called out as they exited the room with cheers to the man.
     "All right," they responded. As she opened the door and the crisp air rushed wildly, Dawn felt queasy. Paul was avoiding her more and more. Was there something going on? She didn't have much time to dwell on the topic as she climbed into her limo and it cruised out of the driveway. She set her gaze on the future. I'm going to have a great sophomore year, she told herself firmly. And Paul isn't going to prevent that.