Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: THE MESSENGER

You are ugly now, on the inside, where it matters most...you are beastly.
-Alex Flinn

Once upon a time, there was once a very rich merchant, who had three sons. Being a man of sense, he spared no cost for their education, but gave them all kinds of masters. His sons were extremely handsome, especially the youngest. 

When he was little everybody admired him, and called him "The little Vanity" so that, as he grew up, he still went by the name of Vain, which made his brother's scoff.

Him? The youngest, stupidest yet strongest vampire in town was the best one. Seriously?

The youngest, as he was handsomer, was also thought better than his brothers. 

Still, the two eldest had a great deal of pride, because they were rich. They gave themselves ridiculous airs, and would not visit other merchants' daughters, nor keep company with any but persons of quality. 

They went out every day to parties of pleasure, balls, plays, concerts, and so forth, and they laughed at their youngest brother, because he spent the greatest amount of time hunting.

Little did they know that it would be their downfall.

One night, on a full red moon, the Wicked Queen came to Vain and she told him "Ghislain, work for me. Prove yourself and work for me. We'll be unstoppable." as so, with no further instruction, he slaughtered his brothers.

And he had his father, who he said had murdered them due to his insanity under the red moon, locked away.

Ever since, he's done the queen's bidding, collecting information through human manipulation and sending it to her. Nobody would suspect a thing, from a man as dumb as him with a face like that.

Vain was deadly because of his fame, not despite it.

That was indisputable, even for a messenger.

Now having to take him down Little Red faces the group, these being the first words out of her mouth that morning besides the things her and the wolf conversed over the mental link. "The man we're about to face is dangerous, not that smart but very strong. He's a half vampire with a homicidal tendency-"

"How does a homicidal tendency work? You just dabble in murdering people or what?" Charm, who tends to interrupt quite a lot, leans over to Magician and asks this -not trying to whisper making Little Red clamp her mouth shut and glare.

"Yeah, I don't know if that's what one would call tendencies." Her best friend says in reply, shrugging as their finger cause their magic to play with their hat that they spin in front of them on a cloud of purple.

The wolf joins the conversation, purely to annoy Blythe. "I can't imagine there's a half measure there, you either murder someone or you don't."

"What if you kill someone and then they're brought back to life? That's a dabble." Doc says, making his love tune into the conversation as well.

"You mean necromancy?" Snow asks, a little taken aback.

"Well I was talking about like, CPR or restarting their heart but sure." The dwarf replies.

"Oh. Well then..."

"Can you do necromancy?" Archer asks, turning to the bard.

"I can't." She grumbles, crossing her arms with a pout. "I want to make eternal flowers but it never works."