CHAPTER 9: Bleak Understanding

*************************

"-Elliot"

Her blood ran cold and she froze staring at the name and the familiar handwriting that has been burned into her memory. She couldn't believe it.

Ella reached for the note, plucked it, holding the paper in her hands felt all the more real.

So that means... He-he has it? He somehow got it back? But- how?

It wasn't making any sense. A minute or a few passed as Ella stood there analysing the situation as a tiny bit of hope blossomed in her heart, she finally knew what to do. Her heart hammered and her hand shook as she pulled out her stack of sticky notes from her bag and wrote another note with trembling fingers.

Elliot,

Return the damn journal.

She faltered. Was this going to work? She thought about scratching out the message, but pause, instead she added...

At least return my letters.

They better be next to 'the book' before this weekend (14 Sept 2018).

-Annie

This better work! This has to work!

There were three objectives of this plan: (1) Force him to take notice. (2) Make him reveal himself. (3) If possible, take back the letters she wrote. If she could prompt him to take even a small action, this would be considered a success.

Reading the note again, she thought her words were too aggressive, but before she started second-guessing her thoughts, she decided to stick with them. She couldn't look weak or hesitant in front of him, if anything she wanted him to think she was strong.

But wasn't this coming off as too strong? A part of her brain wondered. It was bad enough that she was demanding something back that wasn't even originally her own. Doing it this way would probably scare him to never reveal himself.

But she wasn't asking for everything, she just wanted back that small piece of herself that was now part of the diary, and maybe friendship... if possible? She reasoned to herself.

While writing those letters, in the moment they felt right...more than right, but now thinking back she couldn't have made a bigger blunder. She cringed internally and tried to push away the embarrassment she was feeling.

Ella couldn't imagine taking such measures just to meet someone, but these were special circumstances. She was not only curious but also intrigued.

The diary was the only means she had to get in touch with whoever this "Elliot" was and now that the journal was gone she felt rather lost... hopeless in a way.