Ashtray🍃

~Jayla's POV~

As I got closer to the corner store, I silently hoped that Fez was off whatever bullshit he was on at the party. It was confusing and lowkey annoying.

As I got to close enough to the door I picked up my skateboard and took a deep breath. As I opened the door I looked up over to his usual spot, instead of Fez being at the cash register a kid who didn't look a day over 12 took his spot.

I grabbed all the snacks we could possibly want and walked over to the 12 year old. I was curious of who this could possibly be, so I decided to be nice and say hi.

"What's up little mama." The boy boldly said. That immediately made me laugh, not a giggle but an ugly laugh. Who the fuck was this?

"That's cute..." I teased. "Who are you?" I asked as he put my stuff in a bag.

"Ashtray, and you are?" He asked barely making eye contact.

"So you're ashtray, I'm Jayla I just moved in with my cousin Rue." I said grabbing my wallet. This is the ashtray who sells drugs to Rue?

"I've heard about you,  Fez-" he tried to spit out but Fezco came out right on time and placed his hand over his mouth.

"I can take care of her from here on out. Why don't you head onto the back." Fez told ashtray.

Ashtray chuckled to himself. "Alright whatever."
He rolled his eyes playfully. "It was nice meeting you Jayla." Ashtray yelled out as he walked to the back of the store.

"How you been?" Fez asked me as he leaned over the counter that separated us. He looked so good today. And the lack of space between us inevitably made me blush.

I shook my head slightly, trying to brush off the warmth I felt. "I've been good, I just came by to get some snacks for a movie night and say hi." I told him grabbing my bag of snacks.

"Cool, cool." Fez replied calmly.

I cleared my throat while looking down at my feet. Again I had no idea why the hell he made me feel so nervous. "Hey uh...not to be all like weird but what was up at the party?" I finally asked.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

I swallowed before responding. "Like you were being all weird, did I do something?" I asked concerned.

"Nah, it was just a weird ass party. I already told you I didn't like parties and Rue was high off her ass even though she just got out of rehab and I can't help but feel like it's my fault." He ranted and I don't know why, but I grabbed a hold of his hand.

I sighed, I knew exactly how that felt. "It wasn't your fault okay." I tried to reassure him.

"She was like talking to me... when you were off with Vincent." Rolling his eyes. "And it made me feel terrible. I mean I know so many people who die from this shit, I would hate for Rue to be one of them." He told me honestly.

I bit the inside of my cheek. "I get it. And I wish I could tell you that she'll stop, but I know she won't." I sighed.

"How long have you known?" Fez asked me. No one ever asked me that question. And I hated the answer.

"She did her first line with me..." I replied ashamed. "I had always been on that stupid shit... and I mean still am. It's not like I'm proud of it, but I just don't feel like I should hate myself for it either." I looked down at my hands that still had his in between them.

"And you shouldn't. Look, you don't have to tell me anything, but like why?"

"At first it started off with smoking weed with my friends at little hang outs. Then at a party with Jess... she handed me some stuff and we took it. It was a fun little thing until it wasn't. Because as soon as I stopped crying about Jess passing, i decided to party. And I took everything I could." My sigh was shaky.

I finally looked up at Fezco who looked upset.
"Anyways, it doesn't matter, I've gotten better. And I really have to get back." I tried to convince him. He nodded slowly

He licked his lips as I took my hands from his and my eyes couldn't help but glance over to them. "Alright, well have a good first day on Monday." Fezco told me before I walked out the door.

"Thanks dad, I will!" He playfully rolled his eyes at my comment. The ride back home was much more relaxing now that I know fez left that weird attitude at the party and he talks about me.

It was nice that I was able to talk him. Usually it felt weird to speak out because everyone was judgmental or thought it was a competition to say what was wrong about their lives. Not fez though, fez just listened.

I got back home quicker than I left and saw Gia setting up "Mean Girls" on the tv. I hopped on the couch beside Rue and opened the bag letting all the snacks fall on my lap. Things were just so much better when it was like this, I thought to myself.
____________________________________
I'm gonna post a couple more chapters today since I keep saying I will and then I don't-