S T A R D U S T

S T A R D U S T

⋮✰⋮

Adeline Eden Reyes was seven years old when she realized she held something special inside of her.

There had been little hints. Things Adeline could never find the reason behind but they weren't huge enough to warrant too many questions. Maybe it was the way her books always fell open to the page where she had just left off, even if Adeline hadn't marked it all. Maybe it was how whenever she jumped in the air, she remained floating for a few seconds longer than normal. Maybe it was how Adeline could find anything in her home, even if others had said it was hopelessly lost.

But nothing like this.

It had happened in the most innocent of situations. She had been reading Matilda and believed that if she concentrated hard enough, she could make objects move around the room with her mind.

Imagine her surprise when one of her books flew out of a bookcase on the wall and into her hand.

Adeline wanted to squeal. Cry out. Give some sort of expressive sign over the events that had just occurred. But instead she just quietly giggled to herself and clutched that book tightly to her chest. She had witnessed first-hand what her family thought about those who they considered "different". And Adeline was determined to not let her family know at all costs.

Funnily enough, Adeline Eden Reyes was also seven years old when she realized that her family would never truly love her.

⋮✰⋮

On the day Adeline turned eleven years old, a woman with simple but grand black robes and small gold-framed glasses appeared at their front door with a letter addressed to her and talks of a world that finally explained what Adeline had been feeling since she was seven. Her parents thought the woman belonged in a mental institution and tried to send her away, but after a few flicks of her magic wand, they knew they couldn't deny it anymore.

Even though the denial stopped that day, the resentment and hatred began. See, Adeline belonged to an incredibly wealthy Muggle family who cared about their reputation above all else, including love. So when their family discovered that they had to send their youngest daughter off to a school for witches and wizards, they decided pretend to the public as if she never existed.

Only that act continued behind closed doors.

Her parents had always been distant. They loved her, but it was rare they showed it. After that day, however, it's as if Adeline became a freak in her own home. They despised her. Even her older sister Emily, who she had once been best friends with and loved more than anything in the world, turned her back on her.

She lost her family that day she found out she was a witch. But at that same time, Adeline gained a new one.

Adeline met her three best friends, growing especially close her fellow Ravenclaw Estelle. She thrived in magical classrooms, quickly rising to become one of the top students in her year level. While she wasn't close with everyone in her year level, she was still friendly with everyone, despite some pureblood Slytherins believing she didn't belong there due to her Muggle heritage. Hogwarts had become her favorite place in the world, and in her free moments she loved to explore every inch of the castle and learn as much as she could.

Going into her fifth year at Hogwarts, Adeline wasn't expecting much. Maybe a lot of studying for the O.W.L.S. exams, but not much else besides that.

But what Adeline didn't realize was that it was the start of something so much more.

⋮✰⋮