Chapter 1

Now, where to begin?

My name is Cecilia Adler, bit of a boring name if you ask me. Before I was born, my father was never in the picture and my mother? She left when I was just 5 weeks old.

I was left in the care of this wealthy family named The Tewkesburys and all I had left of my mother was a locket with a compass in it and the letters 'WSPU' carved at the back. I also had a small, empty notebook and a copy of 'Emma' with me. You'd find it strange to see a young girl reading, especially when she's had no teacher, whatsoever.

The Tewkesbury's didn't care about me. They were meant to bring me in but left me in the kitchen, alone, waiting for the day that I would become a servant for them. Not like they have so many already. However, the youngest, Lord Tewkesbury, was kind to me.

It first happened when I was 5 years old, in the garden, cutting the hedges and he was outside too, trying to study. His tutor would get mad if he didn't answer correctly.

"Lord Tewkesbury, you need to focus!"

Miss Wright had her hands on her hips and was tapping her left foot continuously.

"I don't know, Miss!" He responded.

"Think harder, young man..."

"I can't focus with you tapping your foot and scowling at me!"

The teacher looked upon him and slowly moved down so that she was eye-level with 6 year old boy. "This," she starts,"is a waste of my time. You, young boy, are not fit to become a gentleman."

She then packs up her bags and leaves the child outside, who is staring down at his book. I see him frowning at his work and decides to go over and see if he was okay. Turns out he wasn't: a tear drop fell from his eye. I peer over his shoulder and I could see that he was studying about the Plantae Kingdom.

I point to one of the drawings. "That one is Trifolium, it's just a fancy word for 'Clover' but you are going to need to remember that." I point to another drawing,"Now, the Agaricus lanipes are a basidiomycete fungus, which mea-"

"How do you know so much about this?" Tewkesbury questions me.

I shrug my shoulders and point to the garden,"Well, when you've explored the entire place and get bored easily, you start to learn about the plants. Especially the ones that sting you."

Tewkesbury had a worried look in his eyes and grabs my hand. "Oh no, are you hurt anywhere?"

"No, I'm okay, it's fine." I yank my hand away from his but immediately afterwards reach my hand out to greet him. "I'm Cecilia, by the way. Cecilia Adler."

He takes my hand again and shakes it.
"Nice to meet you, Cecilia. I'm Viscount Tewkesbury."

And that was when our friendship blossomed.

Author's note:

Bonjour!

I don't know why I said that, I'm not French.

But, I hope you enjoyed this chapter so far and I'll soon write the next chapter soon. Make sure to like this chapter for the next one xxx

Stay safe guys!

-Lara