Chapter 3

It was 11 in the morning and the guests have piled into the ballroom. I was busy doing my job- serving people food and drinks- while Tewkesbury did his: being an idiot. At one point, an elderly couple walked in and his mother greeted them both with poise while he tried to fist bump them both. I laughed at him. Sometimes I wonder how I ended up becoming his friend. Or in fact, his only friend.

I approached him and his mother with some drinks. I bow my head and smile towards his mother and she takes a cup from the plate I was holding. I turn to Tewkesbury and offer him one but he declines. "It's almost quarter past," he whispers to me. "You need to get going."

"I can read the time, thank you very much. The clock in here's quite big, I don't get why your mother wastes all of that money..."

He sighs and decides to take a drink and chug it down. "Woah, woah, woah" I raise my hand to his face,"take it easy there, big guy."

"Sorry, I'm just nervous..."

"About your plan?" I ask and he nods his head. "Well, earlier you seemed so certain of this plan of yours. I don't understand what's changed."

"Nothing much it's just..." Tewkesbury trails off. "I just need to say something to my family first."

I turn to look at the clock. "Alright well, I gotta get going: I need to change. I'll see you later, okay?"

He nods his head confidently and smiles. "Okay. Don't forget to wait for me here!"

"Got it!"

And with that I leave the room, but I could still hear him. "Everybody? Hello I'd like to make an announcement..."

××××

I enter my dull room and see some  clothing on my bed but I furrow my eyebrows and cock my head to the side. It's a boy's outfit. Long sleeved shirt, pants, brown suspenders, a cap and a pair of boots. What is going on in that guy's head...

I pick up the shirt and wondered if these belonged to Tewkesbury so I sniffed them. Fresh grass and lavender: It's definitely his. I frown at the thought of me having to wear his clothes. "I need to hurry up," I say so I start undressing.

××××

I approach the ball room's double doors, remembering to keep my head down low and surprisingly, Tewkesbury's clothes are not that bad, comfy. I could see that Tewkesbury was talking about a subject and everyone was listening to him. He looked quite nervous and scared but when he locked eyes with me, his face fell softer and smiled. He turns back to the crowd of adults.

"So, I just to conclude my speech about possums..."

Possums? I thought in my head. You've had a speech about possums? Oh Tewkesbury...

"I'd like to give a few special words. My uncle, Sir Whimbrel," he points to his uncle in the crowd. "You have been like a father to me. Ever since my father's death, you have been by my side and taught me how to fight in battles. My grandmother, you've helped me cope with my father gone..."

How long is this bloody speech?

"And finally my mother!"

Ughhhhhhhhh

"You've been there for me to. At my birthdays, the days when I was hurt...my birth?"

Oh boy...

"But unfortunately I must say something to all of you. Despite all the wonderful things you have supplied me with, you all still don't know me!"

Wait, what on earth is he doing?

"You all want me to be all smart and proper well not anymore! I'm running away!"

Everyone in the hall gasped loudly and Tewkesbury just ran straight towards me, laughing. He held me to stop skidding on the floor, then grabbed my hand and we ran for it. Outside was a carriage at the ready and he ushered me to go first, helping me up. As soon as he got in himself, the carriage moved and he could see my look of disbelief. He raises his brow. "What's wrong?"

I point towards the mansion. "Did you actually just...?" All he did was nod and I start laughing hysterically. In the distance, we could hear shouts of adults calling for Tewkesbury to come back.

××××

We arrive at the train station and I see Tewkesbury magically holding a big bag in his hands. "What is that for?" I question him, "we don't have any supplies with us, besides my notebook but that's already in my pocket."

"It's not for supplies, silly. It's for me."

I raise my eyebrow at him but we continue to walk onto a train and into a carriage. We close the door then Tewkesbury places the bag on the floor and climbs in. I stare at him and he looks up at me and smiles cheekily. "Close the bag."

"Are you insane?"

"Come on quickly! Before they catch us!"

"Don't you tell me what to do Tewkesbury," I warn him in a dangerous tone.

"Okay I'm sorry, but hurry up and then lift me up onto up there." He points to the overhead baggage. "You know I can't carry your weight," I chuckle.

"I know, you're too weak to carry my muscles," he boasts but before I could defend myself, a young man wearing a uniform enters and waves at me timidly. "Which is why Thomas is lending a hand."

"Hello."

××××

After a short period of time, Thomas and I managed to get Tewkesbury in the bag and up the headers. I thanked him for his service, paid him and made a promise that he wouldn't rat us out. He got off the train and I could see through the window that immediately he was took to the side by a superior officer and Tewkesbury's family.

I quickly attempt to hid my face and slouch in my seat. I could hear Lady Tewkesbury shouting at the conductor. "This is my son."

"This train leaves now,"the conductor states in the same tone as her. He signals for the train to leave and I smirk to myself and realise:

We're both finally free.

Author's note

I don't know what to say lol.

Thanks for reading and give it a like for the next chapter?

Byeee! Stay safe!

-Lara xx