Chapter 4

Seconds after the train departed, the doors opened to reveal a young boy about my age and decides to sit down across me. "Hello," he says timidly.

"Good day." I smile at him and he does the same, proceeding with our journey.

He adjusts his sleeves and we could hear noises coming from above my head. I curse under my breath as Tewkesbury continues to break free from the bag he was kept in. The boy in front of me had a look of confusion as I just sat there. Tewkesbury falls to the ground and the boy flinches, still keeping his eyes on Tewkesbury.

Tewkesbury eventually broke free and turns round, with a cheeky grin, to see me but sees the boy aswell. He furrows his eyebrows together and stares at him, while the boy stares back. "Please get out of this carriage", was all he could say.

"I can't," Tewkesbury states. He makes his way to sit down next to me and I glare at him.

"Seriously?" He looks at me as if nothing happened. "You couldn't have waited for me to get you out."

"Well you took your time."

"Because this boy was on this carriage with us! I didn't want him to freak out about you appearing out of a bag, like you just did."

"Well next time, tell him to shoo!"

"I'm sorry, do you two know each other?" The boy gives us a questionable look.

"Yes," I say with a weak smile,"yes we do. In fact, we grew up together."

"You're a strange-looking gentleman..." Tewkesbury looks at the boy up and down cautiously. I hit him on the arm.

"Tewkesbury..." I scowl in a low voice.

"You're not a boy at all."

"I might be a boy."

I come to my senses and realise that the person in front of us was a girl in boy's clothing, like me. I wonder why...

"Who are you?" I ask her.

"What are you?" She answers back.

I turn to Tewkesbury and give him a look. I say, "I'm Cecilia Adler and this is Tewkesbury."

"Actually, it's Viscount Tewkesbury, the Marquess of Basilwether," he grins proudly and reaches his hand out for the girl to shake. I shake my head, whispering under my breath,"Oh my God..."

But the girl refuses to shake his hand and simply states,"You're a nincompoop."

I try to hide my laughing but I didn't work and Tewkesbury looked offended and hurt. He slowly brings his hand back to his body and I ask the girl,"Who are you?"

She turns her head towards me and smiles. "I'm Enola. Enola...Wright?"

"Are you unsure of your own surname?" I ask her.

Enola's eyes turn towards the window briefly as she shifts her body to one side. "No-"

"I'll have you know," Tewkesbury interrupt, clearly still hurt about Enola's remark,"We have just undertaken a particularly daring escape-"

Enola's mood suddenly changes and leans over Tewkesbury, glaring at him.
"You have not escaped. There is a man in a brown bowler hat currently on this train searching for you and possibly her aswell since you've brought her on your 'daring escape'."

"Hey, I brought her here because I care fo-"

"And once he finds you both, he will think that I have helped hide you and I will be endangered by all of this. Therefore,I ask you to get out of this carriage!"

I see the look on her face and see that she was being serious and didn't want to who we were at all. I nod slightly and stand up towards the door. I turn my head round and Enola still has her look but Tewkesbury narrows his eyes and lays back in his seat "Tewkes..." I say softly.

"You remind me of my uncle, we've left him at the station." Tewkesbury stands up and fixes himself as Enola continues to glare at the boy. "He's bossy too. Left them all: my mother, my grandmother. But I'm fine." He gestures to me as well. "We're both fine. We're free."

"Good. Get out of the carriage, then," Enola simply requests. Tewkesbury walks towards the doors and sticks his head out, searching down the corridor. I turn to Enola and ask, "A man in a brown bowler hat, you say?"

"Precisely." She turns her head to the window, looking at the hills and sky, ending our conversation.

"Okay." I turn my head to Tewkesbury then back at the girl and smile at her. "I hope that your journey was safe and you find what you're looking for, Enola."

Enola turns to me and genuinely smiles. "Thank you." She leans forward and whispers, "Good luck dealing with that halfwit on your journey."

"That's okay, I've done it for years now." I wink at her and she giggles.

"I heard you two..."Tewkesbury says. He nods his heads towards me and I go to leave the carriage first but I turn and say, "Goodbye Enola. I feel we're going to meet each other soon."

"So do I." Enola replies back with a smile. I knew she was just being polite but she didn't believe what I had said. "Farewell Cecilia, Tewkesbury."

And with that, Tewkesbury and I left Enola alone in the carriage. We start walking down the corridor cautiously, making sure we didn't bump into the man. However, I felt uneasy. "Tewkesbury, this is bad."

"How?" He asks.

I stop in my tracks and glare at him but he tumbles into me due to my stop and we try to gain our balance. "How?" I ask back.
"Your idea was to run away whilst having at least 30 people there at the party to witness, now your family are trying to catch us so they've hired a man in a brown bowler hat to jump onto this train and hunt us down. Then, who knows! Maybe when he catches us, first I'm going to be punished for this and they'll send me to a workhouse, far away from you. Then, you'll be stuck in your old life again, except much worse and I'm scared of losing you because you're my best friend and I don't want us to spli-"

Tewkesbury holds my shoulders to stop me from spiraling and looks me dead in the eye. "Cecilia. I promise you, we will never lose each other and if something were to happen to you, I wouldn't be able to live with that. I promise, we will get out of this and when we do, we can..."

He stops talking and looks behind my shoulder and I follow. Behind me was the man in the brown bowler hat looking into the carriages.

"Motherf-"

Author's note

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry I haven't written more, I literally have no excuses other than I didn't feel like it.