Prologue

"No. No, no, no! Mum please," Cole whimpers, holding onto his mother's hand, his tail flipping in the water.

Lilly raises her free hand to his cheek and hushes him gently. Cole leans into it, not allowing his tears to fall. Not yet. Not now. Stay strong for her.

"It...it's going to be okay Cole. I promise."

Cole shakes his head. No it won't be! It'll never be okay again!

Lilly coughs harshly, bile building up in her mouth. Lou helps her to sit up and vomit in the bucket. Lilly lays back down, coughing and shaking. Lou hushes her and rubs her arm gently.

Lilly coughs and whispers. "I-I love you b-both."

Cole tightens his grip on her hand. The only response he gets is a weak smile before she goes completely limp.

"Mum?! MUM!" Cole bursts into tears and starts to shake.

Lou pulls him into a hug and cries into Cole's hair. Cole sobs into Lou's shoulder.

𓆉𓆉

"Kai, Kai wake up."

Kai groans and slowly opens his eyes to see Nya floating next to him. Kai lifts the thin cover off of his tail and swims out of his red shell bed. Nya backs up as a trail of bubbles fly in her direction.

"What is it sis? I was having the best dream."

"Mom and dad said there's been a report of a Siren Hunt. They need your help."

A Siren: a women or winged creatures whose singing lures unwary sailors on to rocks. Although the Sirens in these Waters are different. They've been luring mermen from all Waters into one cove. There's been reports of the missing mermen, who are all teens, but they've never been found.

Kai, Ray, Maya and a group of other merpeople are trying to find them.

Nya and Kai swim downstairs and into the dining room where Ray and Maya are sat talking to a group of the other Hunters in hushed.

"We need to do something."

"They're the most at risk."

"We need to protect them."

"Mom, dad?"

Ray and Maya look up as Kai and Nya swim up to the only two available seats.

"It's nothing, Nya, Jay's waiting for you in the living room."

Nya swims back out to find her boyfriend. Kai sits down.

"What's going on?"

"We found a hideout...we're raiding it tomorrow."

Kai nods.

"Where is it?"

"On the very eastern coast. We're leaving at dawn."

Hey guys and welcome to Underwater, a Lava AU. This won't be updated until I have finished Our Assigned Fate. Hope you're all staying safe and well.