Chapter 2 - Planning

There was a cold draft flowing through the tunnels. Perhaps it was winter outside; who knew? Sebastian, like most slaves in the mine, had lost his concept of time. Work in the mine took place in shifts, and underground it was difficult to say if he was working nights or days. Sometimes, a newcomer from outside would bring some news. They would mention the midday clock just rang, or that the first winter snow had fallen. But those instances were rare, and ever since Marek had been taken away, Sebastian mostly kept to himself.

His shift done, Sebastian made his way back to the slave barracks; old abandoned tunnels in which the soldiers had thrown straw and—if they were lucky—some beds and other furniture. Hot and sweaty, he ran his hand through his hair and felt the scar on the side of his head. It had all but healed and Jarod had said he should count himself lucky he had no permanent damage from that day.

Sebastian passed one of the large slabs of black stone they were charged with carving out of the mountain. Five ropes in total were wound around it, with two dozen men and women pulling the slab toward the main hall. A guard cracked his whip to press them on and Sebastian saw the strain on the workers' faces. They grunted loudly, while another six of them constantly moved the beams that rolled under the slab from the back to the front.

He stepped back toward the wall to give the two men who carried the next beam some room. Just as they passed, a loud snap sent one of the ropes whipping through the air. It snaked around the block and hit one of the beam carriers in the back. Several people in the group fell over as their rope suddenly gave way. The other ropes creaked under the increased tension.

"Imbeciles," cursed the guard. "Get up."

Alarmed, Sebastian watched another rope unravel, its increased tension scraping it along a sharp corner of the stone. "Watch out," he called out as it broke in two.

Four more workers fell to the ground as one slipped and the others were dragged down by the chain that connected their neck bands. The black slab shifted dangerously sideways as those remaining on the ropes fought to keep it under control. One man screamed as his foot was crushed under the slab and he was pinned against the wall. Sebastian jumped forward and grabbed the edge of the block, which was slowly sliding toward the side of the tunnel. He flipped around and put his back against the wall, trying to push the stone away as the others pulled with all their might on the ropes. Sebastian looked into the terrified face of the man caught between the wall and the block.

"Come on! Grab my hand," he screamed. He felt the block inch toward the wall and stretched out his arm.

The man grabbed his hand and pulled, but his foot was trapped.

Sebastian heard the grunts of those still hauling on the rope. Others ran forward, grabbing the stone, but there was not enough to hold onto. He dug his back into the cracks and dents in the wall. One arm pushed with all his might as he pulled with the other, his eyes tightly closed from the effort.

On the other side of the slab, shouts for new ropes sounded. But there was no time. Sebastian opened his eyes to see the man's head pinned between the stone and the wall. Those who remained on the ropes were just not strong enough. A scream escaped the man's mouth as the slab shifted another inch; the sound cut all the way to Sebastian's bones.

Sebastian felt his sweaty hand slipping. The fear on the man's face sucked him in as if he dove into an icy black lake.

"Help me," shouted the man one last time, his words strangely deformed as the stone crushed his head and blood poured out of the corners of his eyes. A chill ran down Sebastian's spine.

With no other choice left, Sebastian wrangled his hand free from the man's grip and pulled it back just in time. He let out a yell of frustration.

New ropes arrived and were immediately run behind the block. But it was too late. As the guard thundered his orders in the tunnel, nearly foaming at the mouth with anger, the slab was pulled from the wall. The crushed remains of the slave slumped to the ground. Blood ran from the wall. It collected in tiny streams and trickled across the floor.