Chapter 9 - Run

"Everyone is hungry and we're running out of water. We have to go," said Sebastian. "It's been two days already."

He looked at the canopy, where a rare beam of sunlight penetrated the giant trees' leaves. Around them, men and women huddled together, softly talking, trying to keep their minds off their situation. The rock formation was not very big and it was almost too crowded to freely move around.

"But how?" said Svetka, concerned. "Those things are still around. Last night, Ann saw two sand devils constantly circling on the far side of this rock."

It had seemed an appropriate name, "sand devil," though those local to this continent called them differently.

"We know, but we can't stay here," said Jarod, who had asked Sebastian to come and help make his point to Svetka. "Waiting time is over. We need to do something or we'll starve."

"Just look at them," responded Svetka. "You can't expect them to make a run for it. They're scared and tired. If we all make a break for it, they'll panic. It will be complete chaos. And just where do we go?"

"That's why one of us needs to have a look around."

Surprised, Sebastian looked at Jarod. That had not been part of their discussion when Jarod had approached him.

"But who will dare take such a risk?" Svetka asked after carefully considering this.

"Obviously, that will be m—" started Jarod, when Sebastian interrupted him.

"I'll do it."

Both Jarod and Svetka examined him with questioning looks. He half expected them to object. During their escape, he had not exactly been the example of active decision making. It would be a dangerous task, and if he froze in fear or even hesitated for the slightest moment, it could prove fatal and the group would lose another while gaining nothing.

But Jarod's expression changed, right before he asked, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I'm hungry but I'm not weak. I want to do this. I want to help. Besides, I can still run and you can't—you twisted your ankle yesterday while climbing the rock, didn't you? How were you planning on making a run for it?"

"Actually...I wasn't," said Jarod.

He grabbed a few tiny stones nearby and walked toward the edge. Sebastian wondered what he planned to do as Jarod scanned the near surroundings, flipping the little stones in his hand. Then he threw them all in one motion across the forest floor. The pebbles skidded, bumped and tumbled across the ground. Immediately, two burrowing trails moved toward the tiny stones. As they slid to a halt, one of the trails ended right below them and before Sebastian knew it, the pebbles disappeared into the ground.

"I think they react to the sound of our footsteps. I thought if someone could make a distraction on the far side of the rocks, I would scout in the other direction, walking as slowly and softly as possible. Maybe if we walk softly enough, they won't hear us."

Sebastian had not thought about that, but it made sense. They had not been able to find and grab Wes until he started to run again. Perhaps it really was that simple.

"Even better. I can walk softly, move toward that rock in the distance," Sebastian said, pointing over Svetka's shoulder. "Perhaps I'll see a way to get out of this mess."

After going over the plan a few times, they decided not to waste any more daylight—being stalked by ground-burrowing killers seemed even less appealing in the dark. So, while a dozen of their group moved to the edge of the rock formation they were on, Sebastian went to the opposite side. Those who had volunteered to help cause the distraction took whatever long branches or rocks they could find and prepared themselves.