Wait, What's His Major?

I've never taken chemistry so anything you see is made up, however I have played piano for like ten-ish years, so hopefully everything about that is correct...:)

Sophie groaned as she remembered she had chemistry with Professor Galvin next. Her week was going bad enough already, she didn't need to add "minor explosion" to her list.

Fitz had left for his job a month ago, and it was almost October 1st. It was a little strange not having him around to be the "overinflated ego" of their group, but Keefe tried very hard to get there. In the end, he just didn't believe enough to sell it for Sophie. Everyone else seemed to buy it however.

But back to her week. It was the anniversary of her first night in the woods. She didn't know how she knew that but she did, and on top of that, Biana exploded on her after she asked if Fitz had contacted her. And she had failed a PE exam that everyone else had easily passed, which got her a lot of unwanted attention from people who didn't seem to like her-namely Stina Heks. Stina had gone and spread wild rumors to all the college freshman about where Sophie was from and why she was here, most of them unflattering and horrible. It was not a great time.

And now she had to go to chemistry, which was without a doubt her worst subject. She wasn't a nervous person, but her anxiety levels shot through the roof whenever she set foot in the classroom, which made her hands shake, and her head spin, and generally yielded...volatile results to say the least. Sophie lost count of her mini explosions and Keefe wouldn't let her hear the end of it-not that she minded. She preferred him to tease her as opposed to focusing on anything "Sencen".

"Hmm, you're early today Miss Foster." Sophie had arrived to chemistry. Her session had been moved to one on one after her first explosion.

Wanted to get a head start on my torture. She thought, though she'd never say it out loud. "Elvin Mythology released early today," she said with false sweetness. The professor must've bought it because she shrugged and moved on to the lesson.

"Today we will work on water purification and move onto metal purification from there. Right now, start with this iodine and try to figure out how to purify this water."

Everything was going smoothly until some chemicals dripped onto Sophie's hand and it burned like hell. "Oof," she muttered, not sure how much she should react. Apparently she wasn't dramatic enough.

"Oh my lord, Miss Foster! Go see a nurse immediately! And do NOT touch anything of mine on the way out." The last comment was because Sophie had accidentally melted one of her Professor Galvin's strange capes that she insisted on wearing. Whoops.

She hurried out of the classroom, feeling like she was going to cry. There was no explosion, but she may as well have strapped her hand to the Challenger rocket-she learned about that the day before.

Instead of going to see the campus doctor, Elwin, Sophie ran inside the first empty classroom she found, expecting to be able to let everything out. She knew the chemicals on her hand wouldn't do anything except hurt, so she elected to just ignore it. She began to slide dramatically down the wall to cry, but froze when she realized the room wasn't quiet like an abandoned classroom should be. There was...music?

She snuck around the corner and quietly gasped when she realized it was Keefe. And he was moving his hands along this weird wooden box thing with lots of little black and white things along the front.

She started to back slowly out of the room. It was clear he didn't want or expect any visitors. She was almost out when he opened his mouth and starting singing.

Sophie leaned against the wall to keep from falling over. His voice was amazing. Like burst into tears amazing. It reminded her of nights under the stars, of swimming in the clear blue ocean, of running like the wind through the forest. She didn't realized she had gasped until it was too late.

Keefe froze and began looking wildly around for the source. His eyes found hers and she saw a faint blush creeping up his cheeks.

"F-Foster?" She had never heard him stutter before. It was adorable. "What are you doing in here?" He quickly regained his composure. "You're either ditching, lost, or running from something. And I know you're not ditching."

"Why couldn't I be ditching?" She fired back, not sure why she was arguing.

Keefe laughed. "I know you Foster. You wouldn't miss a class on purpose."

She blushed and glanced at her hand, which was fifty shades of red. He was right, but he didn't need to know that. "Fine, yes I'm not ditching, but enough about me, what about you?" She raised her eyebrow. "You can sing? And what is that box you were pushing on?"

Keefe began hysterically laughing. "This is a piano. You've never seen one? Not even with your super cool genetically engineered brain?" He nodded when she looked surprised. "Yeah Fitz told me all about that, but no worries, you're still the same old Foster to me." He smiled at her.

"Thanks. And I kind of just don't want to think about that part of me, the part that was created and tweaked." She told him. "And don't think I didn't notice how you avoided my question." She smirked at him. "You can sing?"

He blushed deep red. "Yes," he whispered. "I can sing. I have to be able to. Didn't you know I was a fine arts major? I sing, I draw, I paint, I play piano, you know the basics. I also act, which is super fun and a great excuse to be incredibly dramatic." He winked.

Sophie felt a pang of guilt when she realized that she in fact didn't know that. She barely understood what a major was. Biana explained it to her once, but it was blurry. "I'm sorry, no, I didn't-don't-ugh." She bit her lip and looked down.

He laughed at her again. "Yeah I don't tell a whole lot of people. I don't think to mention in, but my parents also don't want me to. It was the only major they didn't want me to graduate with, so naturally I chose it." He smirked and ran his fingers over the "piano". "It worked out though, because I love it. I loved fine arts stuff even before college and majors. Music was what got me through high school. That and any kind of art, though drawing was always my favorite." He looked over at her very seriously. "Be glad you missed those years. They suck."

When he saw that she was still staring skeptically at the piano, he turned around and hit one of the keys. "This is middle C. I don't know why it's so important, I don't even know if it's really in the middle, but it's the starting point for pianists." He explained. She walked over and carefully sat down beside him. Keefe shifted over so she could try and press the middle C key. "Awww Foster's learned her first note!" He pretended to wipe away a fake tear.

"Can you play me something?" It came out as no more than a whisper, but Sophie knew Keefe heard her because he froze and he scratched his neck, as though nervous-or embarrassed-she couldn't tell.

"Oh-um, yeah. I mean-probably. Uh, yeah." He cleared his throat and scooted back over a little bit. Sophie smiled. There he went with the stuttering again. Adorable.

She was shaken out of her thoughts when Keefe started playing a beautiful song. She wished she knew enough about music to fully describe it and capture the pure beauty and grace of the tune.

A/N: this is me trying to figure out how to describe piano without using piano words, like chords, or like tempos or dynamics, or harmony/melody or anything like that. As you can see I didn't.

"Wow," she breathed, once he paused his playing. "You're amazing. Or at least I think you are because I don't know a lot about 'pianos' as you called it." She was rambling.

Keefe laughed. "Thanks Foster. Means a lot."

She leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder. Maybe the week wasn't so bad after all.

*sigh* I love Sokeefe. This chapter was unedited, as with all the others. I know the reasons for her week being bad kind of sucked but I was short on ideas...hope you enjoyed!
QOTD:Who is Vespera? And what is her ability?