prologue

February 5,2020

"MAKE A WISH!"

The smiles of the 16-year-old girl gradually grew as she closed her eyes, clasping her fingers that were pressed against her chest.

It lasted for awhile until she fluttered her eyes open and blew out the candle, standing tall at the center of her chocolate cake.

"Oh, my baby is already on her sweet 16," her mother adoringly said, pulling her into a tight hug.

Her father joined the small loving scene, whispering I love you's to both the girls he ever loved.

"What did you wish for, Rinie?" her best friend behind the camera asked.

"I wished for this to last longer. I wished for my family and friends to stay with me until the end."

The lonely girl chorused her 16-year-old self, playing on the video tape on her television.

A tear dropped from her eye, gliding on her already puffy face. She looked at the chocolate cake in front of her.

"Happy 18th birthday, Ahrin." she whispered.

A series of laughs came playing on the tape as she turned it off and threw the remote control somewhere.

Ahrin cried, sobbing louder than ever.

She hastily wiped the painful liquid away, and her eyes landed on the candle melting down.

She began laughing like crazy, like watching the candle die is the most enjoyable movie to watch.

"Fucking wishes" she muttered, and she chugged her sixth alcohol bottle in half, sighing in relief.

"Make a wish~"

She heard a whispering voice, like a wind passing through her ear.

Ahrin shook her head aggressively and groaned, pressing her temples.

"It must be the effect of alcohol."

"Make a wish~"

"WHO'S THERE?" she stood up, but stumbled down on the sofa when the piercing headache rushed up.

"Make a wish." By now, the voice had become louder and indeed creepier.

"OKAY! OKAY! Fuck!" she slid down and faced the cake on the coffee table.

Ahrin closed her eyes and clasped her hands, her mind raking at the possible wishes she had in mind.

Maybe just one...

"I wish for a friend.." she whispered, opening her eyes.

And blew out the candle.

She waited

And waited

But no sign of any sorcery.

"What am I kidding"

Just then, the light above her flickered, and she raised a brow.

"Damn, is someone playing with me right now?" she exclaimed.

The flickering lasted for awhile, until it stopped.

Then lights turned off.

"WHAT THE FUCK!?"

"Gosh, you're so loud," an unfamiliar, deep, hoarse voice replied.

"What..THE FUCK!?"

She heard a flicking of a finger, and as if on cue, the lights turned on once again.

But she wasn't alone.

Ahrin's eyes widened when she came face-to-face with a boy sitting across from her.

Long black hair grazing on his dark stoic eyes, pointed nose, small plump red lips, fair skinned, covered with all black clothing

Her eyes raked at his overall appearance, and she gasped when she saw black feathers trickling behind him like a wing.

"W-who.."

The boy just tilted his head aside and stared back at her.

"W-what are you?" Ahrin rephrased, and a grin crept up on his face.

"Park Jisung"

"Why–"

"At your service."

make a wish with a twist

welcome dear pearlies