Chapter 28 - Fireworks

The lake was sitting still, no ripples or waves cascading upon them, no sign of fish or nature other than the water itself. It seemed deeper than what it seemed, even if it was only a few feet of water. Almost a small ocean, deep with secrets sealed forever by the nature.

Almost tangled.

Jackson sat at the log on the end of the lake, throwing rocks trying to skip them only for the rocks to sink instead.

He let out a sigh through his nose, feeling frustrated as he bounced his knee. The A Rank Games were within 24 hours, marking the end of the first semester.

And on top of that, Halloween.

Even if it were an American holiday, they always celebrated Halloween with a large party in the courtyard. It was always the night before the A-Games...meaning tonight.

Jackson wanted to go to his first party, but how was he supposed to show up in front of everyone?

"What are you doing down here?"

Jackson glanced up to see Momo standing with her hands cupped behind her back, titling her body to the side to try and face him.

Jackson didn't answer immediately, trying to skip another rock only for it to sink once more. He groaned, "I'm thinking."

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for the party? Everyone is going," Momo asked, sitting next to him on the log.

Jackson watched her, puzzled. "I can't go to the party."

"Why not?"

"I can't just—show up. Especially after what is happening tomorrow...no one trusts me, everyone is suspicious. Including my teammates," Jackson frowned. "My dad told me there was a destiny in place where I betray him. But I don't understand how that is possible."

"That's why we are doing what we are doing in the first place," Momo assured, placing a hand on his shoulder. "With the snowstorm tomorrow, we will prevent destiny."

"Something about it feels wrong," he admitted in a quieter voice.

"You are doing what you can to help your cause," Momo reminded.

"What about you, huh? What's in it for you?"

Momo shook her head, "I have my reasons. The more important thing is that you are going to that party tonight. You need to get out."

"How?" Jackson asked unamused.

"Wear a costume that covers your face, or at least hides your recognizable features," Momo suggested. "That way no one will be able to tell it's you."

Jackson nodded, "I guess that isn't a bad idea."

"See?" Momo smiled slightly, standing up and pulling him up with her. "Let's get you ready for the party. Because we have work to do too."

"Work..?"

"Surely whoever is wearing the ring won't wear it with their costume right?" Momo asked with a smirk.

And they were right.

Skye carefully placed his ring onto the pedestal, watching as when it hit the light it flew into the air and almost floated circling around back and forth.

The outline of the ring shined as well as the craving that glowed a light blue aura. Skye gulped as he stared at it.

"With this, if anything happens, you'll be the hero."

Skye stared down at the ring settled into his palm. "I can bring anyone back with this?"

"Yep! So if anything happens to any of us, you can save us!"