One

Zeal

Here I go again—another day in college. I'm walking down the hall with my gym bag in hand, wearing black sweats and a white tank top being as comfortable as I can be. I've always been the romp type of girl. Yes, I looked way under dressed compared to some of the women I walked by in the halls. But, I had a feminine edge as well. I still did my hair, put eyeliner and mascara, and a touch of lip gloss. Some I've crossed paths with were wearing heels, short skimpy skirts, or tight fitted shirts. Not going to lie, there were some eye-candy and the sight of these women was heaven, but the fact the almost half of them were attention seekers; gold diggers were a turn off.

"Hey Zeal! Ready for our first practice today?" Lacey asked me as I approached our normal meet up spot before we head to class.

"Yeah, can't wait! I'm dying to get back unto the court." It's the middle of October and I've been eager all month to start.

"I wonder if there's any good girls trying out for the team."

"I hope so," I responded. "We do really need a power forward and a point guard this year if we really want to compete for a championship."

"Couldn't agree more. Hopefully, we get prospects."

Lacey and I reached for our bags that we laid on the floor as we heard the bell. "Oh shit, late for class again." I said as we both raced to our classes. "I'll see you after class," I yelled out to Lacey running the opposite direction.

As I was running around the corner, I ran into someone. I didn't have time to react and fell right on top of her. "Oh shit! I'm so sorry. I didn't see you," I quickly got up from on top of her and extended my hand to help her up.

When she stood up, I gathered her books from the floor and handed it to her as she dusted herself off. I got a good close look at her as I waited for her to extended her hands to take her books. She had the most beautiful hazel eyes I've ever seen that were hidden between her long lashes. Her messy brunette hair tied in a bun on her head screamed tired or the I don't give a fuck day. She smiled shyly up at me showing the cutest dimples nuzzled in her cheeks. She stood what looked like she was 5'6 in height compared to me—I'm 5'9. I looked down at her and took in her simple beauty, the one that I'm most attracted to. She had on a white tank top exposing her black Calvin Klein sports bra, short black workout shorts, sneakers on and very minimal make-up. Why haven't I seen her before? As she extended her arms to reach for her books and our fingers slightly touched, I felt a jolt of electricity run up my arms.

"Thank You," she said shyly as she raised her eyes to mine.

"I apologize for running into you and knocking you down. I shouldn't have been running."

"No, it's okay. I don't mind bumping into you."

"What?" I asked her in shock exposing a little sideways smile on my face.

"I mean— Shit! I didn't mean to say that loudly," she said in a shy embarrassing way turning bright red.

I giggled at her awkward response. "It's okay. I have that affect on women."

"I'm sure you do," she giggled.

"I'm Zeal. Zeal Alon by the way."

"Harlow. Harlow Dubois."

"Well, Harlow. I hope you have a good rest of your day. Looking forward to seeing you around in the halls again." This time my smile turned into a flirty smirk.

She smiled at me with her hazel eyes glimmering at me. I took the site of her quickly and smiled even more. I didn't want to go, but I slowly turned around and walked away. I looked over my shoulder and smiled at her again and then quickly rushed into my class. All through the class, I thought about her. Her smile, her persona, her awkwardness. I just met her and I automatically felt a connection. I haven't felt a connection since my first girlfriend in high school. After we broke up, I swore off relationships and all I've done since was slept with women. Why be with one when I can be with many was my motto.