MerryxOC- Letters

A/N: Oh you should always waste time when you don't have any!

Should I be studying right now? Yup. Should I probably be working on my paper that's due tomorrow? Again, yup! But I really wanted to post this because I haven't done a real chapter in over two weeks! Also, I would just like to say that I don't recommend getting a bad head cold during midterms. Not fun.

Thank you @lotrmxisyy for requesting this oneshot! I hope you like it! ________________________

Did you know writing on horse—er pony-back was possible? Well it is, at least if you have a smooth ride and a steady hand. Of course, there is the inevitable ink splash along the way. Merry quickly decided to write at night by fire light instead. But that means it's extraordinarily hard to write without Pippin watching over his shoulder. These words are meant for him to write, and only for one person to read. No one else.

Of course, his odd behavior was noticed by his three companions. Pippin picked up on it first when Merry didn't want to stop and go apple picking with everyone else. Next it was Frodo, when he heard Merry mutter a few choice words after he had spilled some ink on himself and on his pony. It seemed like such a random thing, a pony with an ink stain. That's definitely not something you see every day.
Merry was really glad that they would be back home in a couple days.

* * * time skip brought to you by the awesome Bill the pony* * *

They were riding into Hobbiton and were receiving some very dirty looks from the locals (which is everyone). For a Hobbit should never go on any adventures or do anything unexpected. Yet these four Hobbits disappeared unexpectedly and were on an adventure for an entire year! It was far too improper for a Hobbit.

There were however, two Hobbits who were excited to see them. One was Rosie Cotton who, in her excitement, rushed over and kissed Sam on his cheek. The scene was so adorable and heartwarming it caused some of the older, grumpier hobbits to smile. Both Sam and Rosie blushed madly after, of course Pippin didn't help with this when he went over to tease the couple. Next it was Maisy-Rose's turn to rush up and hug her half-brother Frodo.

'There she is,' Merry thought, 'there's the one person that's going to read all the words I've written.' He really really hoped that she would read and except them.

When she had finished hugging her brother, Merry moved in for a hug himself. They had always been close friends, so it wasn't unusual for them to do things like this. He just hoped that she wanted to be more than friends. But what if she had found another Hobbit? One that she loves... it would be easy for any hobbit to fall in love with her; with her eyes that are so blue and so deep they rivaled those of any elf; with her gorgeous curly brown hair that bounces as she walks. It was easy to fall in love with her personality. It was so easy to fall in love with her. The more Merry though about it, the more he realized that she would have easily found someone else. And if she hadn't, would she still rather be friends with him?

"How is my favorite hobbit doing after all this time?" Merry asked as he slung his arm around her shoulders, causing Maisy-Rose to have a slight dusting of pink across her face, "Is there anything new in the Shire?"

"Of course everything's stayed the same. Although last fall old Hamfast Gamgee [Sam's father] grew the largest squash ever recorded in all of shire history! You should have seen it! It was as big as he was!" her laughter lit the air, "I had passed him on the road as he and some other hobbits were trying to get it up a hill, but just as he got it to the top it roll right back down and squashed Mrs. Fairbairn's pansies!" They all laughed. Mrs. Fairbairn was known for her kindness, and would always help someone who needed it. However, she had a quite a reputation for being merciless when it came to her garden. No one messed with her garden and lived. It was a well known law in Hobbiton rule books.