Chapter 3: Beginning Own Life

Living with Becca for such a long time, you see each boyfriend pass through, every goldfish die, and pick out every new piece of furniture. The same old stuff repeated with different people and things. Until she brought home this one guy. He was different. You could sense it. She dated him for a few years, until he finally popped the question.

"(Y/n) guess what," before you had a chance to guess she blurted out,"Billy asked me to marry him".

You stood there frozen. Your Queen Maeve mini lasagna buzzing in the microwave. You eyes wide. You were happy for her, but you knew what was going to happen. "That's incredible, what?!", you say with excitement. But no matter how hard you tried, you still couldn't pass the feeling of abandonment.

"Yeah, I know right! But I know you're worried, I can see it on your face. You can't hide it from me," She always knew how to read you. You were basically her sister, you were her closest friend, just as she was yours. "I'm not going to force you out but you and I both know this would happen to one of us", and she was right. You both knew that one day, one or even both of you would find someone.

You didn't want to be a burden. You only wanted happiness for Becca. Billy was an okay guy, and if he made her happy, then that's what truly mattered.

"I've been saving for this. Believe it or not (Y/n) digital marketing makes a lot more than you'd might think", she says winking at you.

You've been scared to work a job for a long time. You still believed that Vought was looking for you. But you've changed so much, how could they recognize you?

"It's a well paying job, and I've been saving up. Like I said we both knew this day would come. I've got $5000 for you to rent your own place when you're ready. When you want to go live on your own. I love you, and always will. But you stay was long as you need. Billy and I aren't in any rush to start our lives together just yet." Becca said softly.

"I love you too. And I probably need to start looking for a job anyways" you give a light chuckle. "Do you think you could get me a job there", you ask. You know it would be risky but you've been off the grid for years. It paid generously and they would never know who you were.

"Of course." She said pulling you into a hug. "I'll see what I can do."

A few days go by, and you were almost done packing. Becca continues to insist that you didn't have to leave right away. You ignored her attempts to convince you and did what you think would make her happiest. Though you felt betrayed in a weird way, you knew Becca had no intentions in hurting you. It was her chance to finally begin her happiest life.

Becca comes home late one afternoon with news about Vought.

"They said you can come in tomorrow. It was easy since you basically have the best spokes person" Becca smirks with girly emphasis.

You smile brightly. "No way. You're kidding. That was quick. I've never worked before what if they don't think I have enough experience, how could they ever-" Becca interrupts you.

"Shhhh," she says grabbing your shoulders shaking you," you'll do fine. I'm sure if it. You're likable...ish. Just don't do what you did in high school."

That brought you back. After escaping from Vought you swore you'd never let someone use you again. You would never let anyone talk down to you ever again. And after meeting Becca, the same went for her. You felt as if it were now your duty to protect the one you love.

You look back to your memory in high school. Becca came home crying one day, she was getting picked on by a stupid boy. Obviously that didn't last long once she told you. You met Becca at her school and told her to walk without you. You made an excuse to go grab a text book from the library for your homeschooling. Instead you found the little shitrat and ensured he would never hurt Becca again. And he didn't. From that day on Becca knew you did something, but never questioned you since everyday after that he was scared to even talk to her.

"Plus there's so many things to do at Vought. The senior Vice President's assistant was just fired for leaking Queen Maeves new movie plot on Instagram or something. You should definitely apply for that job. Imagine how much it could pay." she squealed.

"Hm, how much?" You ask suspiciously.

"6. Figures. A. Year." Say says pausing on ever word.

"You're joking. For an assistant. 6 fucking figures a year?!" you ask in disbelief. "All for walking around with a clipboard?"

"Well there's a little more to it than that, but yes, 6 figures for walking around with a clipboard." She laughs.

The next day you borrowed one of her nicest professional dresses. Not something you'd usually wear, but you gotta look like you know what you're doing.

You and Becca walk into Vought Tower, it was huge. So much bigger in person. You never had any interest in going there until Becca brought up a job. At least you 2 would work in the same building, maybe even getting lunch off together.

"Are you ready" she asks with excitement " take a deep breath, you will do fine I swear it on my first goldfish." She says smiling

You chuckled "Okay, you're right. I'll do fine, right?" You asked reassuringly.

"Yes, now you go in there and get that job!"