chapter two

"maybe i'll see
you in another life
if this one wasn't enough."

kandilyn's pov

"these eyebrows! you think with the amount of money the ro'meave's have they'd keep her maned." the stylist whimpers, as though i'm not even there.

i wanted to get ready myself but that wasn't acceptable 'given the current circumstances.' apparently meeting your future fiancé is a huge deal. who would've thought.

i woke up to three woman pounding on my door and had to usher jeffory out before they could notice.

one of the ladies is painting my nails a white color, the other is working on my hair and the last is doing my makeup.

they're all being rather harsh, pulling my hair and beating my face with the brushes.

after what felt like forever, they tell me i'm finished. i haven't been allowed to look in a mirror yet, something about them wanting to get the full effect.

they hand me a cream dress. it was supposed to symbolize purity and innocence. which was ironic , really. this was far from pure or innocent. this was a business deal.

the three stand there and i practically have to push them out to have any privacy.

i lock my door, only to hear a knock on the window.

my head whips around, confused as to what the noise was. i'm on the second story. either it was a bird plunging into the window accidentally, or someone was foolish enough to climb all the way up here.

i glance over, shaking my head when i see a familiar face. i open the window and gene crawls in.

"now isn't a good time, really." i begin, but he interrupts me.

gene's hair is a mess and from the looks of it, he just climbed the old oak tree near my window. why in his right mind he would do that? i don't know, i suppose he isn't in his right mind.

"relax, darling. i have no interest in that. not at the moment, anyways. i was just around and thought i'd stop in. what's with the fancy get-up? the amount of powder on your face weighs nearly as much as i do."

i raise an eyebrow, giving him an odd look. "how kind of you, you really know how to woo a woman," i laugh, slipping out of my clothes. gene gives me a questioning look.

"thought you didn't have time?" he inquires.

i hold the dress up, "i'm just changing. and quiet down unless you want someone to head. help me get into this, please." i step into it cautiously, pulling it up.

"that's the only time i've ever heard you ask me to help you put on clothes."

i roll my eyes, "just zip it up already," i whisper, moving my hair out of the way.

he comes up behind me, zipping the dress up carefully. gene places his hands on my waist, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck that my hair wasn't covering.

he places soft kisses on it, "you look amazing." he murmurs against my skin.

"thank you, but unless you want someone finding you in here, i suggest you leave," i turn around, kissing his cheek quickly. i cant help but laugh at the residue of my lipstick on his face.

-

"kandilyn, i assume you're ready?" garte asks, glancing up at me. and for a second, i almost see a smile. "you clean up nicely." he shortly says.