chapter four

"the loveliest angels
make the cruelest demons
and darling, you were
so beautiful before
they dragged you to hell."

kandilyn's pov

gene lays next to me, a cheeky look on his face.

"what?" i ask, unable to stop a smile forming on my face as well. his mischievous grins were always so contagious.

his curly hair falls into his face, covering a bit of his eye."you just seem happier than you've been lately."

i huff, looking up at the ceiling. "i get it, i've been mopey." i mumble, no longer looking at him. it seemed everyone made comments about it.

it was either that or my relationships. everyone had something to say. always.

"i didn't say that." he begins.

"you didn't have to." i interrupt.

there's a short pause, "you lost your brothers, kandilyn. you're allowed to grieve in the way you choose to."

i let out an unamused and breathy laugh, "yeah? and how have i grieved? throwing fits and sleeping around." i retort, the last part hushed. i wasn't proud of it, but it was true. i wasn't handling it the way i should've.

it was just so difficult. no one was truly dealing with it. it's hypocritical for me to say considering the way i've handled it, but at the same i'm the youngest. it's not like i know what i'm supposed to do in this case. if anything, i've handled it fine compared to my other family members.

there's a bit of shuffling and i look back to my right, seeing gene now propping himself up on his elbows. "at least you're grieving. it's not like anyone cares, anyways. i sure as hell don't," he says with a short laugh.

some days i envied gene. he didn't feel any sort of emotion unless he wanted to. sadness wasn't something that clouded him constantly. he could just, well, shut it off.

"i was never close with my brother. we just never bonded. but i know vylad was your best friend. even if i don't speak to my brother anymore, i don't know what i'd do if he died.." he admits, "you lost two brothers. you should be doing things to distract yourself. and you're getting married—"

i let out a groan, rolling my eyes. "why'd you have to remind me?"

he laughs, "what can i say? i'm a real mood killer," he hums, "but i can't imagine how shitty you feel. so who cares if you're sleeping around and being a bitch? you did that before too."

i lean over and hit his chest playfully, "hey! did not!"

"mhm, keep telling yourself that doll face."

-

"little one! where's your dad?" i happily hum, picking up abby. she was absolutely adorable. she points in the direction of the kitchen and i walk there, adjusting how she's sitting on my hip so it's more comfortable.

when i walk in, jeffory has his back to me and it seems he's doing something. it smells like food, as well.

his attire throws me off and completely distracts me from what he's doing.

he was wearing emerald plated armor, definitely of o'khasis origin. i don't even want to imagine how much zane put into this. it was nicely tailored as well. jeffory was tall and fit.

and a skilled fighter. when i first met him, i never expected him to be as good at it as he is.

"don't you look nice," i say with a small smile and he turns around, his eyes droopy. it seemed hes had a long, tiresome day. i'm sure zane made his first day hell.