chapter 5

"So next week I want you all to hand in a critical essay on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and arguments for and against the theory. Is that understood?" Mr Baker stood at the front of the classroom and we all nodded, assuring him that we would complete the homework.

"Very well, you're dismissed."

I began to pack up my notes, slipping the book and pens back into my bag. Naila did the same next to me so I pulled my bag onto my shoulder and went to stand by her desk as she finished up.

Paul and Kingsley made their way over to us, the bodyguards usually sat at the back of the classroom so as not to distract the rest of us. I didn't envy them really, they didn't have to do the school work or even listen since they weren't actual students, but I couldn't image how boring it was to have to sit in a room for hours doing nothing.

The guys seemed to be deep in discussion about something and I was relieved to see they were getting friendly. I'd be spending a lot of time around Naila over the school year and if our bodyguards were friends then perhaps Kingsley would be less likely to bother me.

"Do you want to go speak to Mr Baker about helping to tutor the year below?" Naila's voice dragged me away from my thoughts and I nodded at her.

We made our way down to the front, most of the students had left for lunch and the teacher was busy reading his book.

I cleared my throat when we reached him and he glanced up as a smile crossed his face.

"Girls, welcome back. What can I do for you?" His tone held its usual jolliness and his familiar relaxed presence was welcoming. Mr Baker had been one of my favourite teachers since I started at the Academy last year. He wasn't much older than us, I guessed about 22, and it made it easier to get along with him.

"I was just wondering if you needed someone to tutor anyone in the year below? I'd really like to help if you do, I think it'll look good for jobs and stuff."

"Ah that would be great. I'll see how they get along for the first few weeks but if I find someone that needs a bit of extra help then I'll let you know okay?"

I nodded eagerly, "thank you Sir. I'll see you next week."

He smiled at us and we left the classroom, beginning to make our way towards the dining hall. Naila walked in step with me whilst the other two lagged behind.

"Mr Baker is so hot you know." She spoke dreamily and I laughed incredulously.

"He's a teacher!"

"Yeah, a HOT teacher."

I pushed her shoulder playfully, "hey pervert, behave! That's no way for a princess to talk."

"According to who? Disney? They wouldn't know a horny princess if it drop kicked Mickey Mouse."

I laughed again and shook my head. Naila had always been the wilder one in the friendship and frequently said outrageous things. But it was what I loved about her, she wasn't afraid to speak her mind and it kept life interesting.

We finally made it to the hall to find it bustling with activity. It was immediately obvious who the new students were, they were easily identifiable by their first-day nerves and the fact that they wore their uniforms in correct alignment with the dress code. Our year pushed that boundary more, pulling our skirts up slightly higher than the rules allowed or, in the boys case, wearing their ties loosely around their necks.

"Oooh the others are over there, come on." Naila pointed to the other side of the room and began marching her way over to our group. I was about to join her when I felt a body hit into my back. I turned to face Kingsley who stepped back abruptly.