chapter 23

Vesper & Kingsley's Outfits

*******************************************

I tied my heels on before standing up and heading towards the mirror. It was New Year's Eve and therefore the night of my father's annual work gathering.

He'd hired out the ballroom at the Ritz for the festivities and invited all of his business associates, as well as some family friends.

I glanced at my reflection, absorbing the final look. The black ballgown I was wearing flowed whimsically down the floor as the light fabric glittered under the light. The corset bust accentuated my form and the heels had made me significantly taller, helping to straighten my posture.

My blonde hair was cascading down my back in loose curls and my simple makeup look completed the womanly image. I suddenly felt confident, I looked good and a lot older than I felt.

There was knock at my door and it opened revealing my mother in a ballgown of her own. It was a deep navy blue and more form fitting than my own.

"Are you ready honey? The car is waiting downstairs."

I nodded and sprayed a quick mist of perfume before exiting my room and following her down the stairs.

My father was waiting at the bottom and smiled widely at our arrival.

"You both look wonderful." He took my mother's hand and kissed her on the cheek before appraising me.

We headed out of the doors and Eric opened the car door for us. Artie wouldn't be attending, it was an adults only affair and ran late into the early hours of the morning.

Isaac, Maria and Kingsley were due to join us later, my father had to arrive early to greet the rest of the guests.

After out strange encounter in the snow I'd avoided Kingsley as much as I could. I wasn't sure if he'd noticed, but being around him suddenly seemed to have a tense proximity to it. Not the arguing atmosphere like we'd had before, but a new kind of tension, like a rubber band that was being stretched too far and would soon come ricocheting back in on itself.

Instead I'd spent most of my time holed up in my room, buried in books and drawing as I attempted to make sense of my scattered emotions.

I tuned back into the present and thanked Eric as he closed the door behind me and we left the house behind, driving through the streets of London.

It was a busy night in the city and I stared at the people through the window, wondering what kind of celebrations they'd be attending to ring in the coming year.