Chapter 5

Joe

I was in husband and daddy mode during my downtime but from the moment I started packing my bags for the road, Vivian consumed my thoughts. So many different things floated around in my head. The guilt of cheating, the possibility of losing my family over it, the unfortunate fact that I couldn't wait to be around Vivian again despite promising Galina and myself that I wouldn't.

I have it all. A beautiful family, on top of the world career wise. So why risk fucking it up? I honestly can't say. There's this primal urge I forgot existed in me that suddenly got pushed to the surface when Vivian started coming around. Now that it's been unleashed, I can't stop it anymore. I shouldn't want to be anywhere near her especially so soon after the blow up yet here I am going against my common sense, knowing it's wrong. But the need to satisfy that urge and the thrill associated with it was too powerful and had taken over my otherwise quiet and contented life.

I dropped my kids off at their schools earlier and just finished looking in on the babies.

"I'm getting ready to head out, babe," I called to Galina as I stood by the front door. She'd calmed down and was almost back to her normal self.

"Alright, be careful," she hugged me.

"Will do. I love you," I replied.

"Love you, too," she paused, eyes narrowing. "I don't have to tell you again about you know who, right?"

"G, I'm not worried about that girl. I'm just trying to go knock out these shows, get in, get out and get back home to you and the kids," I already hated who I was starting to become, revert back to rather.

No stops, as soon as I stepped off the plane I headed straight to the arena. I saw quite a few people but because Vivian didn't carpool with anyone, I had no way of knowing if she was here already or not. I found myself checking her accounts more often than I can count. I would at least like to know what frame of mind she's in but there were no pictures, no stories, no tweets. The minutes passed by painfully slow so I decided to head to catering to pass some time and ease my anxiousness. Eventually, I got called for a photoshoot.

After the first shots, I looked over at the sidelines and spotted her

After the first shots, I looked over at the sidelines and spotted her. She was watching but her expression was unreadable. I assumed she was waiting for me but once my shoot wrapped, I found out that wasn't the case.

"Vivian, give me a minute to change lenses and you're next," the photographer said.

"What's up?" I said, approaching.

"Hey, how are you?" she sounded polite, that's it. There was no awkwardness. You would think nothing happened.

"Alright, Viv, you're up," the photographer called.

"Welp, that's my cue. Excuse me," she said, brushing by me.

 Excuse me," she said, brushing by me