Meeting the Family

"we all dream of leaving, but wind up in the end, spending all our time trying to get back home again." - home again; elton john.

Draco Malfoy

The way you were introduced to Draco's family was purely accidental. You had followed him out of Hogwarts, saying your goodbyes. Your family was in America this time of year, and you had no desire to visit, choosing to stay behind and spend your break at Hogwarts. But Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy had arrived to pick up their son. She saw Lucius as the spitting image of his son, especially with the bright platinum-blonde hair that seemed befitting of the Malfoy family. They stood proud, away from the rest of the families, but there was a hidden tiredness in their eyes, the same, she noted, that she had seen in Draco this year. They kept their pleasantries, Draco moving away from her as the neared the family, "Mother, Father," He responded almost too formally, "Meet my girlfriend." And Narcissa smiled softly, shaking the girl's hand as Lucius stared down at his son as if ready to hex him. Narcissa had been kind, asking her about classes, wondering if she played Quidditch. It wasn't until they were ready to leave, "Your last name," The Malfoy patriarch sneered, "It's not a common Wizarding name." And she was about to respond when Draco did for her, "She's French, comes from a long line of the Wizarding families there." What a lie, a complete and total lie. Lucius, however, nodded his head. She went to hug Draco, but found herself stuck to the spot as he wrapped his arms around her gently, "We'll talk about this later." She whispered, icy cold in his ear. He nodded, before releasing her, "Of course, Happy Christmas, love." And then, like that, he was walking down the path. It wasn't until later that she realized it was for her own protection.

Cedric Diggory

Amos Diggory was formally introduced to you during the Quidditch World Cup before your sixth year of Hogwarts. You had spent most of the fall and that following summer talking with Cedric, exchange letters back and forth well into the nights on summer evenings, exhausting your owls relentlessly. And you had found not just a friend, but a confidante, a partner, and most importantly, someone you were completely and hopelessly in love with. Cedric, like most boys his age, was completely oblivious and it came as a shock to you when he asked you to the Quidditch World Cup with the Weasley's later that year. She met him far too early, it was still dark outside and he immediately took the backpack she was wearing, choosing to carry it for her as they walked with the Weasleys up to the Portkey. "Hold on," Cedric whispered, holding out his hand as they neared it and she took it, blushing when she did. She tried to chalk it up to a childish crush, nothing more, as they were transported to the Quidditch playing fields. "Dad, by the way...this is...this is my friend." He responded quickly and the Slytherin held out her hand, shaking Mr. Diggory's very enthusiastic reply, "Lovely to meet one of Ced's friends," He slapped his son on the back, "You're right though, lad, she's much prettier than you described." He laughed heartily, catching up to Arthur Weasley as the pair looked at each other and blushed. Oh, to have an unspoken romance. 

Fred Weasley

Molly took you in immediately, especially after your parents had kicked you out after the spring of your sixth year and you had nowhere else to go. You had actually only been dating Fred for a month when he suggested it. And although you didn't want to impose a burden on the family, Molly Weasley had come to your very Muggle house and helped you pack your things. Fred had written you prior, "Mum's about to meet you, no doubt she'll adore you like I do." And no sooner had you gotten through the letter then you heard the knock at the door and the burst through of yet another redheaded Weasley. She helped round up your things quickly and carefully, spouting off things about how "Freddie" had told her about the rules your parents had put you through, about the way they treated you during the summer. And she had heard enough. It wasn't until your items were loaded on the side of the drive that she finally introduced herself, "Molly Weasley, dear, quite lovely to meet you." There was no handshake, no awkward silence, she just pulled you into a hug as you stood there, stunned to silence. Throughout the summer, you found yourself helping her more and more, washing dishes, clearing the gnomes from the garden, doing whatever you could. You had found a second mother in Molly, and she had found a second daughter. 

George Weasley 

Although she had dated George throughout your later years of school, there was a certain way he held you at arm's length from his family. He wasn't ashamed of her, that was for certain, but he was worried how his parents would react. And so, he hid it from them. It wasn't until Bill and Fleur's wedding where Luna had brought her as an additional guest that she had even made her way to meet the parents of the man you had spent most of your young adult life with. He was surprised to see her, no doubt, as she waltz in, arm and arm with Luna, wearing a pair of lime slice earrings and a bright green shimmering dress that swayed multiple ways when she walked. She brushed him off, instead marching over to he eldest Weasley, Arthur, "Good evening," She spoke calmly, extending her hand as he shook it in confusion. George pulled her away, "What are you doing?" He whispered to her as she smiled  brightly at him, "Introducing myself, since you clearly won't." He pinched the bridge of his nose before grimacing, "I was keeping you from them, Lord knows Mum won't stop bothering you once she finds out." She shook her head before pulling George out to the dance floor, "So, let them bother me. I don't mind." And she would spend most of the night answering questions from Molly, who, like Fred's partner, she welcomed into the family with open arms and an open heart, she was always welcome at the Burrow. 

Neville Longbottom

You had put off seeing Neville's parents for so long that it wasn't until after the War that you finally did meet Frank and Alice. And it was in that moment where you realized how important it was that you meet. The lay catatonic at St. Mungo's as Neville went to each of them, another plant on their windowsill, "Merry Christmas, Mum, Dad. I brought someone to see you." They stared at him blankly from their beds, smiling softly, but not saying a word, "Meet my fiancée." He reached for her hand and she smiled softly towards Alice, who stared up at you, nothing but a blankness in your eyes. The tears welled in her eyes and she gripped Neville's hand tighter, trying to not let the tears form as she looked away, blinking them back. "It's alright, they're okay. We're okay." Neville reminded her softly, "Well, Mum, we just wanted to pop in and say hi before going to Gran's for the holiday." There was a small rustle and his mother procured a gum wrapper, dropping it not into Neville's hand, but to the girl next to him. "Thank you." She stared down at the wrapper as if it were her own child, clutching it to her, "Thank you, Mrs. Longbottom." And although the woman would never speak to her, she felt a connection, something in the woman's blank expression that she understood, that she knew - her son would never be alone again. And he would be loved all his days. 

Oliver Wood

She hadn't even met his parents until long after the divorce. She had been...what was it now...five years since the war had finished and when she finally did start dating Oliver for what had felt like the 100th time since their schools days, did she finally raise the stipulation that she must meet his parents if he was truly serious. And no sooner than the day after she had said that had she indeed met Mr. and Mrs. Wood. They were charming, no doubt, if not guarded. Oliver's first marriage had fallen apart rather quickly when she had run off to Brazil with another quidditch player. He had a brief stint at home, but was well on his way back on his feet. His girlfriend and his father hit it off immediately, taking a liking to politics, and as she worked in the Ministry, she wasted no time spilling some of the less detrimental secrets. By the end of the day, as Oliver was walking her out the door did she realize how much she had loved his parents, reminding her so much of her own. She felt welcome there, and they felt happy to have her, especially after how many years Oliver had spent questioning his own loyalty to his wife and always reminiscing on the Slytherin girlfriend he had during Hogwarts. For the first time, he felt secure in his decision to bring her home to meet his parents.