A Simple Dance

"when we dance you have a way with me stay with me, sway with me." - sway; rosemary clooney. 

Draco Malfoy

The way they danced was mastery, waltzing around the Great Hall ballroom as though no one had ever seen. Malfoy was trained well, the many formal occasions his parents hosted on the off-chance he was home had well-prepared him. He was in his element, cool, calm, and collected, as he guided the duo around the dance floor, literally sweeping her off her feet. He would lean in close, surprising her until the outswing, always on time with the beat of the song, always perfectly executed, as proud as she had ever seen him. There was a well-executed dip and the Gryffindor nearly gasped, thinking she would lose her balance, but she did not, he was there to carry her every step of the way. "You look beautiful tonight," He whispered in her ear when the song finally ended. He smirked at her and in return, she smiled coyly back, "Shall we go?" He whispered again and she nodded. He escorted her out of the Great Hall, the hand on the small of her back. Oh, what ways Draco Malfoy could dance.

Cedric Diggory

There was quiet and then the rest of the students paired off in two's and four's watching as McGonnagall turned the music on, something light and hoppy. Cedric hadn't asked her, hadn't cared to, but now, he was pleading with her across the room, not willing to embarrass himself in front of all his peers. The Slytherin gladly accepted, and he guided her into the room filled with awkwardly close teenagers. "Follow me." He responded to her blank stare into his warm eyes and she nodded as he bowed before her, his hand guided to her waist and she took his hand, loving the feeling it brought forth. And so she did. It was as simple as 1...2...3. There was nothing but the gaze between the two, unbroken and unabashed as they danced around the practice hall, clumsy, but graceful all the same, looking very much like two teenagers in love. It wasn't until the almost bumped into a young 4th year did they finally break apart, a blush cascading over both their faces, "Thanks," The girl whispered as he took her hand again, "Thank you." He reminded her, starting their dance once again. 

Fred Weasley

The summer before her final year was nothing short of eventful, she had been traveling throughout the English countryside, helping with Weasley Wizard Wheezes, had been to Diagon Alley for her book supplies, and now, here she was, poised to leave for the last year of her schooling. Needless to say, she was going to miss the Burrow. She had spent two summers here now, Fred by her side, and Molly to her other. She reveled in summers here, joyously staying up late into the night, talking with Fred about the plans they had once she had finished Hogwarts. And she had stayed up far too late again, making herself a cup of tea in the kitchen. "You leave tomorrow, eh?" He spoke, leaning against the door frame. She nodded, back still turned to him, "Dance with me, love." He said quietly, his arms snaking around her waist, swaying them back and forth. "There's no music," She leaned her head against his shoulder. "There doesn't need to be." His chin rested on top of her head, still swaying them quietly back and forth, "You are the music, love." And that was enough. 

George Weasley

"So you didn't tell your mother about us?" The girl raised her eyebrow as George finally lead her out to the dance floor at Bill's wedding. And he grinned sheepishly, "I just...wanted us to enjoy it while we could, before the family finally got involved." And she nodded, "You're just lucky I didn't hex you, Mr. Weasley." She rolled her eyes as his hands took her, spinning her around once to the lively tune, "Aye, I would be lucky..." He brought her in close, both hands on her hips, her arms snaking around his neck as the tune changed to something softer, slower, more melodic, "And I'm always lucky to have you here," He murmured, eyes half-closed, looking down to her, "I'm the luckiest bloke alive to have you in my arms." She said nothing, just breathed him in. The year had been a long one, the days had been long, the nights had been longer. But time seemed to fly in his arms, and she was content to stay there for as long as she could. 

Neville Longbottom

"Love, love," He called out as she walked out of the kitchen of their little flat, nearly running to the front door, "Post just arrived," He held it up excitedly. Ever since Pomona Sprout had announced her retirement, Neville had been vying for the Herbology professor position at their alma matter. "Open it," She gasped excitedly, "Hurry!" She urged him as he ripped the wax steal. There was a pause before a wild smile broke out on his face, "I got it." He whispered, "I've got it!" He picked her up triumphantly, swinging her around the room, "We've got it." He whispered again, his hands holding both of her's, dancing the two around the small living room, watching as her laugh lit up his entire world. "I'm so proud of you." She hugged him when they had finally come to a stop, "I love you." He responded quietly, pressing his lips against her hair, "You've always believed in me." And she would never stop believing in him, dancing or not. 

Oliver Wood

There was darkness, a rustle of a dark cloak and she appeared in the shadows, holding her wand carefully so as not to attract any professors who had followed her or who were patrolling the halls. She discovered it weeks ago, but kept coming back to it. It would drive her crazy, and she knew she would have to give it up eventually. She knew she would. But she didn't want to. She could see them, happy, her in a beautiful white dress, and they were dancing. And he turned and smiled at her through the mirror and it felt so real. He swept the girl in the mirror, a much happier girl around the room, and she reached out to touch it, feeling the motion of it in her arms, carrying her through the night. "You can't...it won't happen, I'm sorry, darling," Hermioned Granger interrupted her thoughts and she handed the girl a tissue, "It's the Mirror of Erised, of desire, it can only show you what you want, it'll drive you mad if you continue this." The girl nodded, drying the eyes she didn't realize were crying, "I am mad." She responded, standing up, "I just am." There would be no dancing.