Ch. 2: Just Another Day In Paradise

After a night of practically no sleep, it was time to get up for school. The alarm blared from the nightstand next to me. I slammed it silent while mentally cursing the Forest Siren.

All night long her wails and song filled my ears. I covered my head with the blanket, huffed and puffed, tossed and turned...even covered my ears with my pillow to no avail. I tried to count sheep but nothing would silence her haunting song.

It was an absolute battle to stay in bed. Every muscle in my body demanded I get up and go find her, even if it was to throw a shoe at her for howling and keeping me up all night. Her...the thought hit me. What made me so sure it was a her? Something to think about.

Today was absolutely gonna be a long day. I force myself up and prepare to face it.

Before I know it, I'm walking through the front door of Lunar Heights High. The pack had their own school district on the compound in case of "supernatural occurances."

Humans wouldn't exactly understand if a fight broke out and there were literal teeth and claws involved. Or if a student couldn't come in due to heat or shifting problems. I get it.

It kinda sucks at the same time though. I wonder if humans would be a little more accepting of me. If I might actually have friends if I attended a normal highschool. There I go, wishfully thinking again... I sigh.

I self consciously pull my hood up over my head and keep my head down. If Im lucky, I'll go unnoticed and have half a shot at a decent day. I scurry to my locker, grab my chem book and head for class. I almost made it.

"Look who joined us today, our very own grade A Freak." She hissed.

I didn't even have to turn to know who it was. Lacey Stanton. Most popular girl in school- biggest bitch ever. I'm not sure when this whole song and dance started, but it's been this way between us as long as I can remember.

I can't even remember how I ended up on her radar. All I do know is she hates every fiber of my being and takes every opportunity to make sure I know this. I paused, took a deep breath and spun to face her. Might as well get this over with.

"How dare you look me in the face you disgusting little nobody!" Lacey spat. Her eyes flashed grey and I could see her inner wolf begging to come out and play.

I quickly lowered my eyes and shrunk back slightly, showing submission how I was taught. Her lips split into a disgustingly perfect toothy smile.

"That's right bitch, show me absolute respect." She quipped before spitting in my face.

This was almost an everyday occurance. I knew what was next, how almost everyone would join in and by the end of the day I'd be black, blue and bloody.

"Your getting good with makeup, maybe we can provide an opportunity for more practice" Lacey sneered.

Others had already started gathering and I could hear their sneers and low chuckles. I thought about what she said. I didn't use makeup to hide whatever they did to me.

No, I myself, the freak that I am, did have a secret. I healed insanely fast. Often times within minutes of these attacks. They didn't really hurt either, not more than say a bee sting.

Well physically, mentally- they absolutely ravaged me. I tried to understand that pack mentality, I understood there was always a weak link, an under dog, but God damn if I wasn't sick and tired of that ALWAYS being me.

Normally, I'd just go ahead and sink to the floor, using my arms and hands to shield my face while curling up my knees up to protect my stomach, but today felt different.