Ch. 10: Revelations

***Ember***

My slumber was so deep I didn't even realize I was dreaming. I stood high on a cliff's edge peering down on a makeshift camp below.

I felt confident, I knew exactly what I was preparing to do. I spun and addressed the vast army standing at my back. I stared into eyes full of unwaivering trust as I spoke.

"We cannot let Ankou take us. We cannot bow down and allow his ever growing darkness to steal our breathe. We will fight! We will not break, we will not fall! FOR ALL OF FAE!" I yelled as I rose a mighty flame bladed sword high towards the heavens.

Roars rang out, cheers and agreements. Sunlight gleamed off my armored hand and forearm, drawing my attention. Skin tight armor clung to the me. No, not armor....scales maybe? They weren't rigid like scales though. I looked up at my hand and saw a pale, talon like appendage where my hand should've been...

I scanned the crowd in front of me. All manner of Fae had gathered. Mighty warriors and creatures from across all kingdoms had come to stand against Ankou. To stand for Fae. To stand with me. Pride bloomed in my heart as I searched their faces.

Our joy was interrupted as a black webbing shadow spiraled into existence. Ankou himself stepped through, his face a mask of mischief and malice.

"Ah good, I didn't miss the good part! Speech! Speech! Speech!" He chanted as he clapped his hands.

Silence, so thick you could hear a pin drop, answered him. I turned to face him, my eyes tingled and sparks dancing at the edge of my vision. I could hear his calm heartbeat drumming in my ears, his blood rushing through his veins as rage bubbled up within me.

"How kind of you to join us", I snidely replied.

"Makes the whole killing you thing just a little bit easier." I offered a mocking smile.

He smiled back, chuckling to himself. "Yeah, about that. See, I've got big plans, tremendous plans in fact. I can't have you annoying little heathens dampening those plans. So, that- the whole killing me thing- well that just won't do." His voice was smooth as silk.

Cocky bastard. He snapped his fingers and suddenly he was only a foot or so away from me. I didn't have to react, a ring of fire encircled me followed by a flash of black then another ring of fire.

I was now 10 feet away. Nobody batted an eye at my disappearing then reappearing act. My attention was still all consumed with Ankou. The hated King of the Winter court, Mastermind behind the Seelie court re-uprising.

He. Had. To. Fall!

My sword hung heavy in my hand, but somehow I knew it wouldn't be fast enough. I sheathed it, choosing instead to raise my talon tipped hands. They instantly ignited and my palms held steady the orbs of flame born into them.

"Oh come on." Ankou chided. "Do you really think you stand a chance against me?"

I squared my shoulders in reply.

I quickly launched the flame from my left hand while simultaneously calling forth my ring of fire, concentrating on Ankou's position.

As I blinked back into existence behind him, he moved right where I needed him to be as he dodged the fireball I'd thrown. I immediately swung my right hand up that cradled my last ball of flames towards his unguarded back with hopes of plunging it deep there....

Only for Ankou to disappear at the last second, allowing me to falter under my own force. Fuck, he'd anticipated it!

As that thought slide through my mind I felt his presence immediately behind me....