chapter two.

*
comment please.

4:13 am

kareem: unlock your window I'm coming over.

The bright light from my phone caused me to squint my eyes so much in my dark room. You couldn't hear anything, and you could barely see. that's how dark it was. im coming over. That was the worst thing he could do, especially at four in the morning . Now that I think of it what was Kareem trying to do to us. By us I meant our friend relationship. Destroy it? tear apart? or simply put a dent in it. That could lead to so much, too much. But my curiosity had got the best of me so I cracked my window, and locked my door. It was like a replay from earlier, and now I know my mother was asleep so I felt a calm peice of mind. Minutes later I heard my window being slid further open-that let me know that Kareem had arrived finally.

"-Charls, you up?" he whispered in his deep voice. "yeah." I crawled to the foot of my bed. This was totally unexpected therefore my night attire consisted of slumber shorts, and a thin cami. Kareem, he shut the window and adjusted himself at the foot of my bed, that's exactly where I was.

"So, what brings you by?" i brushed a piece of my curls from my face glancing at him, he was being weird, and wasn't as responsive to me like usual, but that didn't bother me. "Why can't I just stop by?" he questioned me giving me a glare that seeped my gut, that's what I was feeling. It wasn't a normal glare that'd you get from him. "sorry, um. you can take those heavy coats off, I'll take them for you."

"okay." he pulled his arms from the sleeves of the heavy coat, I took them and placed them on my night stand before nearing his presence once more.
"Kareem. really what's been up with you lately? you've not been yourself." my brain was contorted, and I really wanted to know these answers, and needed his honesty. But all I got was the same glare that he had gave me earlier.

"Charls, what do you see me as? like a brother or something- huh?" he squinted his eyes.

Tonight the moonlight seemed to kiss his revealing choclate skin, that's just what I thought. He looked nice always. But I wonder what this was coming from.We've had serious talks before, but not like this, and everytime we had a talk we'd seem more distant toward each other.
"I see you as a.. a good friend, and yeah sometimes a brother, but that still doesn't answer why your at my house this earlier...did you hurt someone?" I considered the worst always, but he shook his head. "my dad. he came back." wow.

From all the times he spoke of his father not a positive word came from his mouth. It was either abusive or he was drunk. "Kareem." I looked at him. His face was sadden, and he barely looked at me. "Kareem...did he-did he hurt you?" I placed my hand on his shoulder, only this time he didn't shake his head, he didn't do anything. This time he sat there. "Its okay. Its not your responsibility to "really" care for me Charls." he whispered while grinning. I didnt know how to deal with people's emotions all well as others, but I could see the hurt in my best friend, and as he was right now.

"you know, you can always stay right here." I rubbed his back. "Nah. your moms already have so much on her plate."

"You right." I nodded. "But, you'd do the same for me." an small grinned slipped the crease of my mouth when I saw small smile Kareem had on his lips.

"Yeah. When Sev's there." he then chuckled. "Huh? come on not again." i playfully nudged him.

"You're a good one." he rubbed my bare thigh. And then It was again. That awkwardness inside of me that was covered up by laughter. "I know this."

this was a short story. so the chapters aren't long.