Chapter 4

I sat in the stateroom for a little bit before going to tea. After once again being silent through tea, I did a lot of thinking. I thought about the personalities I saw amongst the people at this table. Mother is gentle and likeable but very shy, father is humorous but tempered, Alice is modest and loving but naive, William is charming but stubborn, Nathan is sensible and trustworthy but can be spoiled, Louis is intelligent and fun but is a smart ass, Grace is kind and open minded but whiney and last but not least, Benjamin. Benjamin is confident and positive, brave and funny, honest and reliable, Benjamin is unique but he is also impulsive and rebellious. However I think I want to forget the flaws and focus on the great side of him.

"Clara" a voice brought me back to reality.

"Yes" I said.

"Were you listening just now" my mother asked.

I looked at her confused.

"Benjamin offered to take you on a walk since you were feeling poor, I think it's a splendid idea, the fresh air will do you good"

I looked over at Benjamin and said "of course".

I finished off my tea and simulated a smile. We left the dining room and went out on deck.

We began to walk before he gently tugged at my arm and asked "why are you blue today?"

"Please do guess" I hissed.

"Please do inform me" he matched my sass.

"You didn't come last night" I said walking towards the railing.

He sighed and said "I truly am sorry Clara". He pulled me towards him to gain eye contact and asked "do you forgive me?"

Looking into those beautiful eyes I couldn't say no. He had this control over me, I just couldn't stay angry at him. So I nodded and hugged him. We hugged for a good 5 seconds before continuing our walk and talking as though nothing had happened. We walked on until the sun dipped into the horizon and it was best to get ready for dinner. I reached my stateroom to find mother feeding Tillie.

"How did the walk go?" Mother asked.

"It was very pleasant. You would've loved the sunset." I said laying out my outfit.

"I must see the it tomorrow then. I really like Benjamin. He's quite the gentlemen." she stated. "You two seem to be getting close"

She giggled at that last sentence. I shook my head smiling and put on a blue puffy dress. I decided let my hair down curly.

"Ready?" I asked.

We entered the dining room and sat at the dining table with the rest of the family and Clarks. I immediately joined the conversation which surprised everyone to my mood change. The delicious dinner could brighten anyones mood.

 After the meal William and father went to the smoking room and mother, Alice, Grace and Tillie retired to bed. Whereas us older kids decided to go dancing! The only place to do that was in the third class area, so we went on another rebellious adventure.

 We found the area where they all dance after dinner. The music was loud enough that we could barely hear each other. It was terrific! It was the most reckless thing I had ever done! Me, dancing with all the lower class members. I was dancing with a young man to the upbeat song before Benjamin stole me away. Seems like the jealous type. We were dancing for what felt like hours, singing, laughing. Louis even started dancing with a girl that looked his age and Nathan also found a pretty girl to dance with. The whole night was amazing! Soon many were drinking alcohol around us so we decided it was time to go. Still pumped we didn't let the night stop us their! We decided to stay on deck a little longer chatting, joking. It got to about midnight before two familiar faces showed up beside us.

"Clara, Louis, Nathan and Benjamin, what is the meaning of this?" My father interrupted.

I frowned and said "lighten up", beginning to laugh.

My fathers face turned completely red and I knew I was in big trouble.

My father grabbed me by the arm and shouted "you are just a girl, girls shouldn't act like this! Start acting like a lady!"

I pulled out of his grip and growled back "I am sick of living by your rules, let me be who I am!"

He gave me the darkest look and said "you are my daughter and you will do as I say!"

I couldn't believe how unfair my father was acting.

"Sir I think that's quite enough" Benjamin chimed in, taking a step towards us.

"Who are you to tell me what to do, boy" my father said walking up to him with steam rushing out his ears.

Before he could say anymore or walk any closer William grabbed him and pulled him away.

William began helping him inside only turning back to say "you kids go to sleep now" and then continued walking.

I turned to Benjamin to ask if he is ok only to see him comforting me.

"Your father shouldn't treat you like that" Benjamin said to me as Nathan and Louis approached and hugged me.

"I'm fine, let's just get to our staterooms."

I reached my stateroom and crept inside, attempting not to wake mother. Regrettingly I woke Tillie so I had to cradle her back to sleep before getting changed into my nightgown and going to bed.

The next morning came fast and I found myself quite tired after the late night the previous day. I once again woke early and laid in bed for a few short minutes before getting dressed. I wore a white dress with a pink bow and covering the small bun I put my hair in, a white hat with pink flowers sat. With mother and Tillie still sleeping I decided to check if Benjamin was awake. I walked through the halls until reaching Benjamin and Williams stateroom. I turned the handle to find the door open, slowly turning it more, I quietly pushed the door open. I carefully peered in to see Benjamin sitting at the end of the bottom bunk, sliding on some boots.

"You're awake" my words startled him.

"Yes" he replied. I took a step further into the cold stateroom. "Would you like to join me on a walk" I asked.

"Let's go!" He exclaimed. I laughed and we went on our way.

-------------------------

Comment and vote!!

xx