5 - Someone Like Me

1 week had passed since the school begun. 1 week since my powers emerged. 1 week since I realized my life would never be the same.

Well actually at that time my life wasn't all that different from the usual. I still had to go to my classes and I still had to graduate. But one thing definitely changed. Now I had more time to do my school work so there was no point in rushing. All the problems I had about managing my sleeping and school schedules practically disappeared. I could do my homework whenever I wanted. I could even do it in class or even 1 second before the teacher asked for it. And if I didn't feel like it, I could just as easily take a nap as long as I wanted.

All of this sounded perfect didn't it? I suppose it did but for some reason I still had this bad feeling in the back of my mind that something horrible was about to happen. Just like the quiet, peaceful period that would only last for a short time, I was enjoying the moment in the calm before the storm. But something was telling me that wasn't going to last forever, whatever it's called - intuition, sixth sense, gut? It was warning me to not become too comfortable because soon everything would change. So I decided to listen to it and be cautious.

As I walked down the school's hallway distractedly I started playing with the safety pin that was on my shirt. Having something to play with in my fingers usually helped me concentrate but it also sometimes made me unaware of my surroundings. This was unfortunately one of those times.

I failed to notice that there was someone getting closer to me from the opposite direction who was just as absentminded. Before I was able to realize what was happening we bumped into each other and I basically collapsed on top of him. My preoccupied mind quickly returned to reality as I felt how my safety pin pierced through that person's skin. I slowly stood up as some of the students that were chuckling on the sidelines begun taking pictures with their phones. Once I took out my safety pin that was stuck in his palm I helped the poor boy get up.

"I'm so sorry, Lucas." I apologized to my classmate that was unfortunate enough to become a victim of my befuddlement. He glared angrily before tapping onto his clothes in order to remove the dust. "I have a Band-Aid in my bag, hold on a second."

"I don't need a Band-Aid, what are you talking about?" He brushed it off casually.

"Maybe you didn't feel it but your hand was cut." I gently grabbed his wounded hand to turn it around but once I looked at his palm there was no sign of an injury. "Wait how is that possible? It was so deep into your skin."

Lucas quickly slipped his wrist out of my grasp and hid it behind his body to prevent me from looking at it. "I wasn't injured, just leave me alone."

Once he basically shoved me away from his way and ran I couldn't help but wonder if I was perhaps losing my mind since I was beginning to imagine things that weren't there. I clearly saw how my safety pin went through his skin with my own two eyes. The wound was definitely severe enough to cause bleeding, yet when I glanced at his palm it was perfectly normal.

I lightly hit my hands onto my cheeks in order to wake myself up from overthinking about this mystery but as I did that I looked down and a familiar red liquid captured my attention. I leaned down swiftly to get closer and there was no doubt about it.

I observed my body to make sure it wasn't me who had left this trail but there was nothing that would indicate I had cut myself. This blood definitely belonged to Lucas but he was also not injured just like me or at least that's what I saw and that's what he claimed.

Come to think of it he was acting pretty strange when I suggested he got impaled by my safety pin. Once I mentioned he might have been wounded he quickly dismissed the idea denying even the possibility.