21| Fighting dirty

Alyssa
______________

For the first time in history, I'm nervous about my party. It's not that I think anything bad is going to happen, but I haven't forgotten that I'm about to have a house filled with Justin's friends and Max's. One wrong look, move or comment, and this could get ugly. 

The girls and I spend most of the evening getting ready. My parents left a while ago, which means we have free reign to drink as much as we want and sing at the top of our voices.

"I can't believe you're inviting wannabe thugs into your house," Marnie says. "I hope you've hidden anything expensive." 

I don't take my eyes off the mirror I'm looking at. "Everything in this house is expensive, Marnie." I choose a lipstick from the thousands in my makeup box–a vibrant red–and smear it over my lips. I'm transformed before my eyes into a sultry vixen. 

At nine, the first of the guests start to arrive. I've got a couple of Justin's meathead friends on the doors as bouncers, ensuring only those with tickets get in. I'd set up an account earlier this week for those wanting to come, and while I haven't checked it in a while, the last time I looked, it had nearly reached two thousand dollars. 

Justin throws an arm around me as people fill up the rooms. "This is going to be your best party yet," he says, kissing my neck. His breath already stinks of alcohol, but I hardly even look at him. I'm too busy scanning the room for Max. "Should you be drinking when you're about to fight?"

"I'm not drunk," he says, kissing me again, "but even if I were, I could still beat that kid's ass."

I feel jittery at the thought of Max being in my house. Not because of what Marnie said, but because I'll feel exposed. He's going to see the custom-made art flown in from Paris and the diamond candelabra in the kitchen. He's going to see what pointless things our money gets spent on, and I know what he's going to be thinking.

For the next hour, I try to keep one on the door while dancing with Justin. We'd agreed the first fight wouldn't be until ten-thirty, so they should be here any minute now. My heart won't stop racing in my chest. 

"You look sexy tonight," Justin says in my ear. "Like, really sexy. Red lips look good on you." 

I try not to grimace. It's getting harder and harder to ignore his advances, and sooner or later, he's going to realize that things aren't the same between us–that I'm just pretending. I pray Dad's business deal will be done by then. 

At some point, Justin disappears into the backyard with some of his friends. I hover near the front door, relieved when Maddie and Hayden show up. They both give their tickets to Jose, who has swapped shifts with Peter and walk over. 

"Hey," I say, pulling Maddie into a hug. "I was starting to worry you guys wouldn't show." 

Maddie pulls back a little, ignoring my comment to take in the house. I don't exactly blame her–this house is impressive, at first, but it soon wears off.

She frowns a little. "I've been to this house before," she says, still looking around. "For a party once last year." She turns to Hayden now, gently shoving his shoulder. "This is the house you had sex in!"

I scrunch up my nose in horror. "You guys had sex in my house?"

"Oh, not with me," Maddie says, looking at Hayden. "With someone else." Hayden raises his head to give her a pained look, and she smiles and kisses his cheek. 

I look between the two of them, horrified. "I could have gone my whole life without knowing that. Where's Max?"

Just as I say it, the door opens, and he and his brother walk in. My heart does this mini jump in my chest, and I smile. Max looks good tonight. Really good. He's wearing faded gray sweatpants and a plain black tee that accentuates his muscles. They give their tickets to Jose before walking up to me. Kino smiles, and I pull him into a hug.