Chapter 2

Saturday 23rd November 1963

Parkland Hospital

Jack was wearing slacks and a shirt. He’d had a hellish night and just wanted to be with his wife. “Mr. President.” A nurse said. “She’s awake, and Dr Carrico wants you in there when he tells her.”

Jack nodded. “Thank you.” She was an attractive blonde nurse but he didn’t care. Bobby would be proud.

He closed the door to Jackie’s room and sat down next to her. She looked at him, pain contorted on her face. “Bunny?”

He caressed her hand. “It’s okay Kid, I’m here but we need to listen to Dr Carrico.”

“Okay.” She squeezed his hand. She felt odd.

Dr Carrico told her what he’d told Jack yesterday about how she was temporarily paralysed and how it could take years till she was back to her regular self.

Jackie’s face fell and she looked at Jack as the doctor left the room.  She began to cry as she tried to feel any sensation in her legs. Jack sat down next to her and wrapped his arms around her. She sobbed into his shirt. He kissed her head. “Jackie it’s going to be okay, I’m here for you, everyone is. We’ll take it a step at a time.” He said calmly.

She nodded. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Kid.”

Later that day a nurse helped Jackie into some clothes. Jack knew she was  trying to be strong. “I can do it myself.” Jackie snapped at the nurse. “Uh… yes ma’am.” She left.

Jackie slid the skirt on before turning to Jack. “I want your jumper.”

“What? Why?”

“I’m cold.”

He gave her it and watched as she put it on. “Bunny.” She whispered. “I don’t want the press to see me.”

“Okay.”

“Do they know what happened?”

Jack shook his head. “Pierre was going to brief them tonight. They just know you were badly injured.”

She nodded weakly. She felt useless now, how was she going to do anything? She wondered as she brushed her hair.

Jack’s hand landed on her shoulder. He crouched down and looked into her eyes. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Okay.”

He kissed her softly before taking her hand. They were flying home tonight. Jack just wanted out of this God forsaken city.